Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone will be able to answer a couple of questions I have. I have a 05' F7EFI Sno-Pro, and due to unfortunate circumstances the past couple of years, I haven't been able to ride it. At the begining of this weekend I only had 300 miles on it, put 200 on this weekend. This sleds oil consumption is rediculous, is there a set break in period with EFI models, will the oil consumption get better when I reach a certain mileage mark. My buddy has a Ski-Doo Renegade, and his did the same thing until he reached the 1000 mile mark and then the computer automatically leaned out. I normally put 2-3000 miles a year on my sled, and at that rate of oil consumption, I had better buy a 55-gallon drum. It takes 2 tanks of gas around 140-150 miles and the oil tank is empty!!!!!!!!!!!
Another problem I have is a leaking gas cap. As I ride, with the gas sloshing around in my tank, it somehow finds a way out... I tighten it as tight as humanly possible and it still leaks, does anyone know about this problem? Or just a bad gas cap?
Lastly, I have a 99' ZRT 800 with 12,500 miles on it, runs great, and looks great. It needs rear shock to be rebuilt and thats it!!!!!! I have always run Amsoil full synthetic oil. I am thinking about selling it, what could I realistically ask for it... I don't want to sell it, because of how well it has run for me, and its a great back-up sled.... but I might have to...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes....your sled is running rich and needs adjustment....it won't do it by itself and I think your buddy is full of BS by saying his sled adjusted itself electronically. The fuel/air mixture can be adjusted electronically, but the oil is a mechanical adjustment hooked up to the throttle via a mechanical linkage. Firecat sleds were set rich from factory on oil. Your prob running 30:1 which is where most people are. There is a post here on how to calculate and adjust your oil....look around for it or someone else might have the link and post it.

Your gas tank probably has a crack in the neck. Cat has a recall out for this right now and your now entitled to a new tank for free. Take it to your dealer and get it done....also have them do the steering recall which I assume you haven't done also.

ZRT pricing....can't help you there, but I'm impressed with the 12,500 miles!!!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a 05 also, as for the gas leak, mine came without a gasket on the gas cap, thats the first thing, also have the recall done. as for the oil, mine is burning about 38-39 to 1, I will probably someday turn it down a bit, but I rather burn a little more oil then burn an engine up, every dealer I have talk to advised me not to turn it down.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree about what the dealers are saying about the Oil consumption. I had a post on the forum last week regarding how much of an oil pig these machines are and everyone is saying to adjust the oil pump. I talked to the technician's at my dealership and was told this....."We happen to have an F6 rebult motor in the back right now that would fit perfectly into your sled." Point made. They told me that they come from the factory burning that much oil for a reason. As well they said they can't keep up with blown motors due to guys adjusting thier oil pumps. So, nothing against those that adjust the pumps, but I think I'm going to leave mine just the way it is and deal with the fact that it burns oil. They do make Oil Caddies to mount on the side of the motor where you can store a 1 litre jug of oil.

:rofl: I laugh because I asked the dealership about the Oil Caddies and they led me to a shelf that had a HUGE supply of them sitting there. What does that tell you. Too funny... slaphappy

·
Registered
41 Posts
my 05 f7 came the same way and i adjusted the linkage rod to run the oil pump as low as possible and even bent the rod some to shorten the through. the motor still gets plenty of oil and runs great.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the helpful info....... I had all the updates done, this past fall. I am going to have to check to see if I have a gasket in place in the gas cap and go from there. Also I had purchased an oil caddy from powermadd, its holds 2 quarts, its a shade too big and don't want it rubbing on my coolant line. Can anyone, tell me what kind they may have in there sled, because itlooks like I'm definately going to have to buy 1. I'm planning a trip to Ontario and going to have to carry oil.......

·
Registered
12 Posts
As far as the cap goes, my dealer told me NOT to tighten it so tight. With the large cap on the firecats people are able to put a lot of torque on it which can cause it to crack. Now I just spin it down and tighten about a quarter turn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.