Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I did a search and didn't find much. I was wondering if anybody has relocated their oil cooler on a 400. Frankly, I don't trust the 'overheat light', and have never heard my fan come on. I was thinking of putting it on the front rack, like the bigger water cooled machines have. I have seen transmission coolers fairly cheap at the auto parts store, a little bigger than the stock AC 400 cooler. I was thinking of some type of temp gauge, buying longer oil lines, and a better way to make sure the fan does turn on. Just curious if anybody has done this. I just got this machine recently, and don't fully trust driving it 50 miles out into the woods yet. Thanks!

·
Banned
2,228 Posts
You havent heard your fan come on because it hardly ever will. I have my cooler racked like your talking about doing and I also have an oil temp guage and I can tell you that it never ever ever gets hotter than 160 degrees being up there which is actually not hot enough so I am going to be purchasing myself an OIL LINE thermostat that will keep the oil cooler out of the loop until the oil reaches 190 degrees which is the optimum operating temp. The fan on the cooler is set from factory to kick on at 250 or 280 degrees I believe and as such like I said you may never have it come on!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You havent heard your fan come on because it hardly ever will. I have my cooler racked like your talking about doing and I also have an oil temp guage and I can tell you that it never ever ever gets hotter than 160 degrees being up there which is actually not hot enough so I am going to be purchasing myself an OIL LINE thermostat that will keep the oil cooler out of the loop until the oil reaches 190 degrees which is the optimum operating temp. The fan on the cooler is set from factory to kick on at 250 or 280 degrees I believe and as such like I said you may never have it come on!!!!

Oh ok, yeah the fan looks pretty dirty, as if it's never been on. Good to know though. I rode a few days ago, and it was about mid 20's, so I won't know how warm it gets until this summer. I'll be sure to keep the fins clean and see how it goes. Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
oil cooler

I am not sure on your 05 but my 07 400 the oil cooler is 14in.x14in.x1in. I was amazed how big it was the ones on the suziki 400s are 5in.x7in.x1/2 My fan only comes on when it is very hot and crawling over rough trails at very low speeds for long periods.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, I did a search and didn't find much. I was wondering if anybody has relocated their oil cooler on a 400. Frankly, I don't trust the 'overheat light', and have never heard my fan come on. I was thinking of putting it on the front rack, like the bigger water cooled machines have. I have seen transmission coolers fairly cheap at the auto parts store, a little bigger than the stock AC 400 cooler. I was thinking of some type of temp gauge, buying longer oil lines, and a better way to make sure the fan does turn on. Just curious if anybody has done this. I just got this machine recently, and don't fully trust driving it 50 miles out into the woods yet. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine did the same thang it would get hot and the fan wouldnt come over so i wired up mine fan to a switch and made my own relcations for the oil cooler

1 - 7 of 7 Posts