Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to swap in the 05' diff so I have a locker. I know that the locking mechanism grabs the left front axle. Do I have to swap that entire axle or can I just replace the inner CV joint and cup?

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Hopefully you can swap out the CV cup on both fronts because i dont think the outers will work with your hubs and bearings.
Iam pretty sure from 05 up the outer cv cups wont fit the 04 and older models and i dont think the inners will work atleast on the fronts.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 05 and 04 front diff is the same part number. 0502-615

02 left & right front axle 0402-907

04 left front axle 0502-546
04 right front axle 0502-544

05 right front axle 0502-542
05 left front axle 0502-547

I'm thinking the 04 axle will work, but I'm hoping to just replace the inner cup & joint on my existing axle.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gwc @ Nov 17 2009, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hopefully you can swap out the CV cup on both fronts because i dont think the outers will work with your hubs and bearings.
Iam pretty sure from 05 up the outer cv cups wont fit the 04 and older models and i dont think the inners will work at least on the fronts.[/b]
If i didn't know better I would almost think you're talking about Belly Buttons and Bras here.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
thought i typed it out well enough to make sense but i guess not if you think i am talking about bras and belly buttons.

sorry..

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bras and belly buttons are alot more entertaining than cv joints & axles!!

Does anyone have a picture of an 04' axle and inboard joint (left front)?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Look at my diff swap thread.

If ouy have the 04 axle? If so just buy a new brake rotor and it'll swap right in. On the 02&03 the rotor has an insert that slides on the axle splines and goes into the bearing. On the newer ones the rotor doesn't have the insert so the axle fit's right into the bearing and the rotor splines onto just the end. IIRC!

Here's the picture from my first post in the swap thread that isn't working anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do not have the 04' axle. Your picture above is of the inner joint. The geared section must be where the diff lock grabs hold. That appears to me to be part of the casting of the inner cup. That would lead me to believe that by replacing my 02' inner cup with the 04' cup it should work. That will eliminate the need for my to buy a complete axle and left front brake rotor.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Correct.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for everyone's help. This should get me on the right track.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts