Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A 05 500LE AUTO THAT I WANT TO PERFORM BETTER THAN IT CURRENTLY DOES. I'VE BEEN READING THIS SITE FOR AWHILE, AND AM CONFUSED SO I BECAME A MEMBER TO POST THESE QUESTIONS.

HERE'S THE SETUP. 05 500LE AUTO WITH 8XX MILES, ALL STOCK. I'M LOOKING FOR BETTER THROTTLE RESPONSE, NOT LOOKING FOR TOP END SPEED. 40MPH IS AS FAST AS I WANT TO RIDE BUT WHEN I NAIL THE THROTTLE, I WANT MORE POWER TO THE GROUND. I RIDE MOSTLY SAND TRAILS WITH SOME MUD, SOMETIMES I CAN'T RESIST THE HOLES. I'M TIRED OF PLAYING CATCH UP ON THE TAKE OFFS, I WANT TO "LET HER EAT".

FROM WHAT I GATHER, THE 05 500 AND THE 06 500 HAVE DIFFERENT SIZE HEADER PIPES, THE 06 IS LARGER IN DIAMETER. IF I WANT TO UPGRADE THIS AREA, DO I HAVE TO REPLACE THE PIPE AND MUFFLER FROM THE HEAD BACK? OR WILL A SLIP ON MUFFLER DO JUST FINE? DOES THE GAIN JUSTIFY THE COST IN REPLACING THE HEADER PIPE? I'VE READ THAT I'LL HAVE TO BUY A 03 350 RANCHER PIPE FOR THIS, BUT ARE THEY TALKING A HEADER AND A MUFFLER, OR JUST A MUFFLER? PLEASE CLARIFY.

I KNOW I'LL HAVE TO REJET. SOME COMPANIES SELL A MUFFLER AND JET KIT, ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?

I'M LOOKING AT A K&M AIR FILTER, UNDECIDED AS TO SNORKELING.

ALSO MIGHT GO WITH SOME CLUTCHING MODS FOR THE THICKER STUFF. ANY EXPERIENCE OUT THERE THAT YOU WISH TO SHARE? THANKS, GUNS OUT

·
Registered
434 Posts
Congrats on joining.First off I had an 05 500 mine was an auto dont know if yours is .But I did all the things you are talking about,The pipe Hmf The jetting dynojett snorkled and clutched dalton.I really didnt notice a hugh difference it did seem to pull harder in the mud and it slowed down alot better.The pipe gave it a little more out of the whole but not an overwhelming amount.I too was tired of playing catch up.So idid the next best thing and bought a 700.With the money you are going to spend on the pipe clutch jetting and K&N along with if you sold the 500 that would probly get you into a bigger ride.If thats what you want just from my expierence.Not trying to offend.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
you need the honda rancher 350 slip on exhaust from hmf and rejet. You wont get maximum gain until you snorkle. the k&n wont make much of a difference. You can get the jets needed from your dealer or a harley dealer will sell the pilot jet. Dont waste your money or time on a new headpipe. you wont need to clutch unless you have giant tires like 28in or bigger. The hmf will give you a ton of low end power needed. You will also need the mounting bracket for the exhaust. Get the exhaust and bracket from highlighter.com for under $300 Jets wiil be $20 max and snorkle for $20. It makes a big difference out of the hole.
I see your from MI, come check out atvoffroad.net for some riding!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I found drilling out the carb slide got rid of some of the hesitation when you gun the throttle. I did the muffler and snorkle at the same time and got better take off. The k&n a little and the clutch kit a little more snap but I would think an auto might get more results from the clutch kit than the manual. There is still no replacement for displacement.

WC

·
Registered
332 Posts
Not to change subject but does anyone offer a big bore kit for the 500? If not who could we talk to that would put one together? I would love to have a big bore manual.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VT ArcticCat @ Feb 8 2007, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Not to change subject but does anyone offer a big bore kit for the 500? If not who could we talk to that would put one together? I would love to have a big bore manual.[/b]
Four Stroke Tech has a big bore for the 500cc AC. Another thing I will add about jet kits is that most of the "other" brand ones are actually just a DynoJet jet kit in different boxes.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (0369 GYSGT @ Feb 8 2007, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I HAVE A 05 500LE AUTO THAT I WANT TO PERFORM BETTER THAN IT CURRENTLY DOES. I'VE BEEN READING THIS SITE FOR AWHILE, AND AM CONFUSED SO I BECAME A MEMBER TO POST THESE QUESTIONS.

HERE'S THE SETUP. 05 500LE AUTO WITH 8XX MILES, ALL STOCK. I'M LOOKING FOR BETTER THROTTLE RESPONSE, NOT LOOKING FOR TOP END SPEED. 40MPH IS AS FAST AS I WANT TO RIDE BUT WHEN I NAIL THE THROTTLE, I WANT MORE POWER TO THE GROUND. I RIDE MOSTLY SAND TRAILS WITH SOME MUD, SOMETIMES I CAN'T RESIST THE HOLES. I'M TIRED OF PLAYING CATCH UP ON THE TAKE OFFS, I WANT TO "LET HER EAT".

FROM WHAT I GATHER, THE 05 500 AND THE 06 500 HAVE DIFFERENT SIZE HEADER PIPES, THE 06 IS LARGER IN DIAMETER. IF I WANT TO UPGRADE THIS AREA, DO I HAVE TO REPLACE THE PIPE AND MUFFLER FROM THE HEAD BACK? OR WILL A SLIP ON MUFFLER DO JUST FINE? DOES THE GAIN JUSTIFY THE COST IN REPLACING THE HEADER PIPE? I'VE READ THAT I'LL HAVE TO BUY A 03 350 RANCHER PIPE FOR THIS, BUT ARE THEY TALKING A HEADER AND A MUFFLER, OR JUST A MUFFLER? PLEASE CLARIFY.

I KNOW I'LL HAVE TO REJET. SOME COMPANIES SELL A MUFFLER AND JET KIT, ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?

I'M LOOKING AT A K&M AIR FILTER, UNDECIDED AS TO SNORKELING.

ALSO MIGHT GO WITH SOME CLUTCHING MODS FOR THE THICKER STUFF. ANY EXPERIENCE OUT THERE THAT YOU WISH TO SHARE? THANKS, GUNS OUT[/b]
1: I believe that you are correct about the header.

2: Most slip-ons go onto the existing header. If you look at your stock muffler, there is a "coupler". This is where the HMF's or other slip-ons fit to. I was very pleased with the gains with my HMF. I can't comment on the header change out or the muffler/jet combos as I didn't do mine that way.

3: If you don't do a lot of deep water riding there are alternatives to having the huge snorks sticking out of your quad. There is a "secret snorkle" that some have done on here. Here is a link http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php...hidden+snorkels

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.