Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all on the left side of the diff there is a rubber or plastic ring around the axle right next to the diff, it appears to be leaking around it, and I can wiggle it abit, what should i do? also just changed the differential fluid yesterday with abit more than 8oz. secondly I can grab the whole differential and wiggle it also is that normal?

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
first of all on the left side of the diff there is a rubber or plastic ring around the axle right next to the diff, it appears to be leaking around it, and I can wiggle it abit, what should i do?
Sounds like your talking about the CV boot, if it is cracked or torn then replace it. If it is just leaking grease out the ends you may just need new band clamps on it.

also just changed the differential fluid yesterday with abit more than 8oz. secondly I can grab the whole differential and wiggle it also is that normal?

It is not normal to wriggle the diff, tighten it down.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put 8oz in the rear diff and then I poured some more in it then after riding today I noticed the leaking, and I just noticed it seems leaking at the front of the rear diff too, maybe I ruptured the seals?

·
Administrator
40,662 Posts
There is a dust cover in the end of the axle and they get loose. Behind that is a diff seal and it is very common when you put more than 8-8.5 oz in for them to start leaking. It's an easy job to change them and there are a couple write ups in the pinned section.
^^^agreed your diff should not move

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a dust cover in the end of the axle and they get loose. Behind that is a diff seal and it is very common when you put more than 8-8.5 oz in for them to start leaking. It's an easy job to change them and there are a couple write ups in the pinned section.
^^^agreed your diff should not move
how much should I have put in the rear diff? are there just a few bolts holding the diff down?

·
Administrator
40,662 Posts
There's only 2 and 8 oz is the accepted amount. I always pack the back side of the seal and cavity with red and tacky grease and mine never leak anymore

·
Registered
3,774 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of Arctic Cat differentials.

If you want them to NOT leak you have a few options:
1. Replace them every 2-4 weeks, or after every 3-4 rides.
2. drain fluid after every ride and refill before the next one.
3. Fill them with grease
4. Sell your Arctic Cat

I'm fond of option 3 and 4 myself. But number 1 is usually what I have to go with.

all jokes aside, doorfx had the best advice. I put red and tacky behind my seals, but still have to replace them monthly (or just drain and refill after/before very ride). Their are updated seals, but they honestly don't seem much better in my experience.

·
Administrator
40,662 Posts
I'm not sure if some of the housings are out round or what. The exact opposite has been my experience. I replaced them and have never had a leak again. Very happy

Reactions: team sidewinder
1 - 12 of 12 Posts