Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My '05 500 started dumping gas out the drain tube nipple of the carb, float drain...never touched that drain screw before.
It seems to really pour out when running....scary. Puzzling that some kind of pressure build up is working past this positive stop.
Tore down the carb, cleaned and replaced the drain screw twice...still the same scenario...stymied....any help out there????
(...I noticed an old post on same prob with 04 650, but did not see there was any resolution ....)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The carb was removed, completely cleaned,bowl and all...The drain screw has an odd "bullet head" tip, with a different metal at the tip. It should seat shut-tight-no leaks....replaced that screw twice(as I said it started leaking on its own, had not ever touched that drain screw...) When starting up, the gas dumps out....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
replace...or will cleaning do?....and how does the gas get by the drain plug screw, it's in tight....I've seen this problem described several times in other posts relating to carbs leaking....it's not coming out the upper vent but getting by the screw on the bowl drain, seems whacked...this is a drain screw with a tight fit, seems it should never leak at all unless the cast was poor, yet seems to be a common problem....Any alternate carbs available?

·
Registered
26 Posts
A friend of mine had the same problem and the dealer determined that the jet was bad. It seems to have stopped the leaking problem. Mine has done it onec about three months ago. I have been to lazy to replace the jet.

·
Registered
94 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (loggerhead @ Mar 4 2007, 01:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
replace...or will cleaning do?....and how does the gas get by the drain plug screw, it's in tight....I've seen this problem described several times in other posts relating to carbs leaking....it's not coming out the upper vent but getting by the screw on the bowl drain, seems whacked...this is a drain screw with a tight fit, seems it should never leak at all unless the cast was poor, yet seems to be a common problem....Any alternate carbs available?[/b]
I dont see how it can be the Jet. I agree with WYO_H1. I just replaced the Needle Valve in my carb this weekend and It did not help. The only thing I can figure is the Needle Valve Seat is FUBAR. Musta been like that from the factory.

I even adjusted my float height to be 18mm instead of 17mm to ensure that it closed quicker, no change..

Take it back to the Dealer, chances are, you have a bad carb. According to the Parts Breakdown the valve seat in our carb is not replaceable. It'll take a whole new carb.

Ether.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
My Buddy has an '05 500 M and his from brand new leaked out of the float overflow, cleaned it the first time and found a piece of plastic from the gas tank in the bowl and still leaked, and it only leaks when running and stops leaking 2-4 seconds after you shut it off...not a real steady flow just a heavy drip every few seconds...Every now and then it stops on it's own and won't leak for a couple hours and then start up again. I dunno bang your head

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm beginning to think it's not a carburetor problem. The atv sat for the last 4 years because of frame damage but had no carb issues before. After cleaning the carburetor and changing all of the fuel lines and vacuum lines it started to leak from the overflow while running. Since I've replaced everything and adjusted the float many different times. Same results each time. Today I put a brand new carburetor on and it has the same problem. The best I can come up with is the vacuum pressure is so high that it's not allowing the float needle to shut of the fuel. If that's even possible. Or the the carburetors where built like **** and the overflow tubes are too short. It's an 06 500.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.