Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I have the sled in the shop for a couple upgrades
and scheduled maintenance.

what kind of a job is it to put in a different gear?

what kind of gear would make a difference in performance highs, lows?

basically what would I get a kick out of, and
what would I get drilled dollar wise for a job like this.

And if reasonable what gear set do ya get???

or do nothing. LOL!!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
when i grenaded my driveshaft and ring gear i checked into this and came up empty. I will say it's gonna be expensive if you have to change all the gears in the dd, it's not so cheap as changing a sprocket on a chaincase. If you do decide to change gearing in the dd upgrade you ring gear and drive shaft to the through bolted drive shaft instead of the puck style locks.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Gears are easy, once the case is open they should lift out with a little persuasion/wiggling. Good time to do the seals also. Rather than buying the bearings from Cat(up to $30 each) I went to the same bearing supplier where I purchase skid and shaft bearings and spent about $25 for all three for the gearset(they can match the seals too), machine shop next door pressed them on for $5. In my '06 I use three ounces Mobil 1, remove a teaspoon of it and replace it with a teaspoon of brake fluid to keep the seals in good shape(puffs them up slightly and stay more pliable).

Don't know about ratios on the 900, to me they felt overgeared like the 65/55 sets in the Firecats. I went to a 63/57 in a Crossfire that sees trail riding when I dropped to a 1" Hacksaw and wish I had settled on no more than a 62/58. Set of DD gears ran me $155 two years ago, break a chain and replace the gears at the same time in an earlier sled and you'd be pushing that price if you bought good steel gears so that is a push. Never broke a DD gear but we broke a boatload of chains and twisted the splines off driveshafts when we were younger.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply guys
I think I will be leaving that area alone.

I just am having it shimmed, and a Y pipe
put on. I figure I can't go too wrong
with the light bolt on stuff.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Rickyo.......Just changed the gears on my 05 ZR9......long story short......stripped the trackshaft late last spring......went to a Black Diamond trackshaft ($150 with drivers), changed the right gear ($80) and switched to a 68/52 gear set, ($200), the stock gears are 66/54..... The trackshaft has a short bolt that secures to the new ring gear.....did bearings and seals in the DD also......

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kash @ Nov 9 2009, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Rickyo.......Just changed the gears on my 05 ZR9......long story short......stripped the trackshaft late last spring......went to a Black Diamond trackshaft ($150 with drivers), changed the right gear ($80) and switched to a 68/52 gear set, ($200), the stock gears are 66/54..... The trackshaft has a short bolt that secures to the new ring gear.....did bearings and seals in the DD also......[/b]

Yeah if I was able to do that myself I would.
thanks for the reply Kash

1 - 7 of 7 Posts