Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

Need some help. Finally sold my 01 500 Auto and now I'm shopping for something newer! My main use for the bike would be plowing and riding around yard with my 5 yr old. It would only see a trail a time or two a year.

A local dealer has 04 TRV 500 and an 05 650 V2 and he is asking the same $$ for each. He told me over the phone they are both 05's but the TRV doesn't have the cat eye headlights so I believe it is an 04 (correct???).

Anyways, what you guys recommend?? Oh and price is $4995 but he said we could deal.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Someone will know better, but I don't think they all went to the new style in 05. So it is likely an 05.

Can't really help you in which way to go, comes down to if you want a 2 up or not. Both will be capable of what you want it for IMO. A 2up would be safer for doubles riding as that is what it was designed for, but if your just around the yard it's probably a non issue.

Later
Molsondrinkr

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The TRVs still had the older style in 2005, so he is probably right. I believe that if it's a digital pod, that it is an 05.

The way you want to ride it should dictate what you buy. If you are going to have passengers lot and are happy with a little less snap, yet a bulletproof and deliberate machine, you should get the TRV. If on the other hand, you want that thing to go like crazy as soon as you gas it, and you want something a little more nimble, then you should get the V2.

One thing I can tell you, you won't find a more comfortable and stable ride than that TRV, but you do give up a little maneuverability.

Jay

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Well, in your situation I would consider the TRV. It'll have all the power you need to plow and give you the "passenger friendly" aspect that you'll come to like more as you give your kids rides and even more so when you teach them how to drive them (you can sit on the back easier).

I had a 2004 V2 and it was a great machine with a LOT of snap to it. However, if you are just plowing snow and tooling around the yard, snap is not what you need and to be honest, if you are hitting the trails once or twice a year, having that minimal exposure to it's throttle response and aggressive acceleration may get you in trouble...it's suprising and can get away from you if you're not careful and/or experienced.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I'll throw another vote in for the TRV. We got our's last year and about 3months after we started riding, the wife came up pregnant, still not sure how that happened I dunno Bounce Mirror . Anyway the doc said no riding for her so mine's been mostly ridden single. Still a great machine. Hill climbs are easier, very stable, and will still run down the road 50+ mph, with two guys on it, if that's what you want. I've been using mine to move dirt with a plow and cutting down trees with a tree chopper that mounts on the front. Great buy, in my mind for that price. I could go on, but that covers the basics.
JD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts