Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 Sabercat with the digital / analog display gauge is completely blank and without analog function eitherr. Temp light is on regardless of a cold or wam engine when running. The red background lighting powers up normally upon starting. The blue "brights on" indicator works correctly too.

Everything was working fine when it all went blank except for the background lighting and the temp light. The connector is dry and looks new, no bent pins. I even disconnected battery for a few hours without a hint of improvement.

The sled has only 2300mi and has been mine since new and receives a gentle hand to both maintain and operate her.

I even swapped the gauge to my other identical sled and the gauge remained blank with no analog or digitial action - so I am ruling out something on the sled side.

This is the old part number of 0620-288, I suspect the temp light might be a fault indicator to those internal to Artic Cat or the gauge manufacturer, Borg Warner...hmmm.

Short of purchasing a replacement, can this one be fixed? PCB troubleshooting and SMD part replacement is not a problem here.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Do you have a volt meter? If so, start the sled & check the voltage on the two pin connector behind the gauge with the brown & yellow wire. Should be +12VAC. Then unplug the harness from the gauge cluster, leave it unplugged & test voltage on that yellow & brown connector again. Lastly, go back the connector you just unplugged & test voltage across pins #1 & #2 should also be +12VAC.

If you have no voltage, check from pin # 1 to the the frame of the sled near the engine. Report back & Let us know what you find with those tests.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
68ragtop: Thank you for your suggestions. Here are the results:

1. Start sled, measure "two pin" connector with brown & yellow wire, should be +12VAC. TEST RESULT: measured 9-12vac (rpm dependent) from the brown/yellow pigtail wire to the brown pigtail wire behind the speedo (they were the only other connector ends there). See first jpg.

2. Unplug gauge harness, measure same brown & yellow wire voltage. TEST RESULT: engine at idle, it was 0.0vac and 0.0vdc.

3. Check voltage on pins 1 & 2 on the gauge harness. TEST RESULT: measured +10.8v DC at idle. Note that this was DC voltage, AC voltage measured was 0.0v. I did need to guess at pins 1 & 2 - see second jpg pic. Gauge connector had a "1-1" molded into it which I used to determine pin 1 location and then used the same row, adjacent pin for #2.

I am a little surprised to see the DC voltage - I thought the gauge would use AC and rectify it internally? Also take note that I did test this display in my other identical sled with the same blank result (but red backgound lighting active along with the temp light on too).

Thanks again for the direction pointers!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
The first plug you disconnected & checked, is actually the MPH/KPH selction plug/loop. I thought you should have had a two wire connector with one yellow & one brown on it. Its just a 24VAC accessory plug. maybe yours doesn't have one.

The cluster will work on both AC & DC wiring. I would assume the sabercats with a battery use DC.

I think I misuderstood you on your first post, did you say that the display is out trying it in both sleds? I thought you meant that the display was out in the problematic sled, trying both gauges.

If the gauge is inoperative on both sleds, I would say you have a problem internally with the cluster. Sorry if I sent you on a goose chase.... :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To close out this post, I purchased a used gauge and everything works again, although my temp light remains on (more like half on).

I could use the gauge complete pin out if anybody has it.

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts