Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the trail for about 7 miles all good, stopped, shut the machine off for about 10 minutes to chat. Fired back up and back on the trail. Noticed there was no Speedo, RMP, High Beam Indicator, Backlighting, nothing. Headlight, tail /brake lights all good. Noticed the machine was lacking upper-end power.

Trail was a groomed rail-trail, no bumps or ridden hard.

Got er home ok after riding with no display for 2 hours.

Poked around before yanking the cluster for any obvious wire chafing, didn't see anything.

Printed out the wiring diagram & related service info.

Also researched the internet, including Arctic Chat high & low before doing the following:

Checked voltage, had 12vac on #1 yellow pin, #2 brown ground was ok, Yanked the cluster, put 12vdc on pins 1&2, nothing. Put 12vac on pins 1&2 display lit up, showed correct mileage, digital tach showed 3980. Put 12vdc on pins 1&2 again, display lit up, showed correct mileage, digital tach showed 0.

Connected the cluster back to the machine, everything works, even the speedo, (had the back end jacked up).......wtf?

Needless to say, I'm gonna poke around with the harness much closer before calling it good.

Just wondering if anyone's had the same problem

·
Registered
32 Posts
Theres a speedo sensor that acts up,sometimes just a cleaning works or replace.Lots of info over on hardcore sledder

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I read about that.
Would that cause the whole thing to go blank?

Looks like the voltage regulator is incorporated in the speedo sensor also.

As i said, I had no backlighting or anything. Hitting the high beams would give me high beam up front, but I had no high beam indicator.

Upon starting the next day, while it was warming up, I could increase the throttle and notice the headlight would get a tad brighter.

I'm going to be doing alot more checking before calling this one good.

I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Combed over all the wiring & connectors, twisted and turned the harnesses every which way but loose with the machine running and display operated as normal.
Showed no problems whatsoever.
Buttoned it all back up, but not gonna call it fixed until after 500 miles.
I'm thinking the performance should be ok now too, the first ride will tell.

Maybe a lockup glitch in the speedo cluster?

Miles will tell, wish me luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts