Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got some snow today and decided to test out my 04 f7 firecat. Just bought the sled last month. Changed the ignition coil when I bought it. Now it runs and pulls great starts fine idles fine then it will start running rough. It still drives but less power and not smooth. The check engine light starts blinking when it does this. I shut the sled off and restart it and then it is running fine for a bit and eventually it runs rough again so I shut it off and restart it etc... any ideas what could be causing this? I'm trying to get the sled a little more reliable for the trails. Thanks.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Can you count the number of blinks the check engine light it doing. It sounds like it might be APV valves which would be 6 blinks on the check engine light.

If the valves are stuck and not opening at (7200 rpm I believe) it throws a code and will put your sled in a safe mode which can make it run crappy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I went out and tried it again it is blinking 6 times. When it's blinking it doesn't seem to want to go past 6000rpm. When it's not throwing the code it just goes and goes... what would be my next step from here. Also is it hard on the sled to keep driving it like that? Thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
The fix could be easy, first thing I would do is pull off the APV valves and clean them. They are probably gummed up if they haven't been cleaned in a while, also make sure your running some good synthetic oil which will help keep them from getting gummed up. Since the sled is new to you it's hard telling what kind of oil the previous owner was running.

So again I would start first by cleaning the APV valves, you can search google for how to do that. It's not hard to do at all. To see if they are gummed up before taking them out you could pop the cables off of the servo assembly and try pulling on them to see if you can get the valves to move.

If the issue isn't the valves being gummed up its probably one of 3 other things which could be: 1. The cables are stretched and out of spec, 2. The cables are freyed and getting stuck, or 3. the servo motor has failed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. I will check to see if they are gummed up this afternoon. I have a bunch that the sled was abused. I bought it from a dealer and they said they got it as a trade in. I think it was used for racing or something like that it has racing handlebars a tunnel extensions and a 2 inch paddle track. I was looking online and could it be that someone fudged with the cables because they don't look like they are connected to the motor quite right. I'll try to add a picture. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Most likely the previous owner changed it over to more of a boondocking sled, and was probably abused as well. Those cables are definitely installed wrong, looking at the picture slide those out and move them down to the next slot. The cables will fall into the slots too, you can grab and turn the servo to loosen the cables up to make it easier and can turn it back clockwise when done. And yes those cables being like that will make sled think something is wrong with the APV valves. So fix those and take it for a ride and see if it helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I switched the cables and holy cow what a difference. It's not throwing any codes and it's flying and running nice. Thanks again for all the help. Hopefully I have no more problems but if I do I know where I'm going to ask. Thanjs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts