Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just wanted to see what everyone else's top speeds are. I had a 2001 Thundercat which was great on the lakes, but I do know that my F7 will not have the same top end speed. My sled is an '04 F7 efi Sno-Pro and has less than 3,000 miles on it. I haven't done any mods to it, I've only had it for a month, but it already had some stuff done. 172 pics up the middle, 4th wheel kit, V-Force Reeds, D&D bulls eye are intakes, and D&D y-pipe. The lakes were pretty fast this weekend, just got home, but the fastest I saw was 99 mph. Usually I only see in between 90 and 95. Should it be faster???? I bought it from a guy in NY. It was his girlfriends sled and she only put about 250 miles on it. It was a little too big for her to handle and I think she wanted something with reverse and electric start. He bought it off the owner of his local arctic cat dealer. That guy did all the mods to it and did all the recalls and updates. I don't think it has a clutch kit in it....maybe someone changed out the gears for more low end and midrange??? It is a rocket out of the whole, but lacks a little in the top end. If anyone has any input, please chime in. Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
I my self am coming off a 01 t-cat, knowing the f7 would be slower I was ready to give up the power and start enjoying a light weight sled in the twisties. I have a 06 F7 snopro, I seen 103 this year on hard pack and it took a long time to reach it and that was on the spedo not gps so I'm sure it was off. These sleds are light and I don't feel as comfortable as I did on the t-cat at those speeds. My t-cat hit 110 with a gps and was stock,you will not see that out of a F7 unless you mod the **** out of it and then you sacrifice reliability so is it really worth it. I love the ride of my F7 plenty of power and feels like I'm on a dirt bike its so easy to throw around. The t-cat was nice for the power and the smoothness of the tripple but was not worth all the draw backs of a heavy sled. But thats just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, the t-cat was nice on the lakes and long straight aways. I pinned the speedo a 1/4 inch or more past the 100 mark. I know pics will slow you down on the top end too. I guess some times you have to sacrifice one thing for another, faster take off and slower top end. Well, before next season I will post a topic on what to do to my sled next. Right now the season is over for me and I am not to worried about it. Prob. pipe, can, clutch kit, and the fuel adjuster. I have a guy that lives near me who use to work for cat. I'll prob. take it to him for service before next season and get some stuff done to it. I'll see if my buddy and you guys have any suggestions for mods in the future. The new F-8 and F-1000's are nice, but I like my look better and 10,000 or better is alot to spend on something I only use 5 or 6 times a year. Thanks guys any other input or info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't know about the f8 but, I raced an f1000 and was not impressed. I got 2 sled lengths on him and he could not catch me or gain any. I expected to get beat easily. He tried twice , same results both times, he just shook his head and drove off.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow, maybe they aren't that fast or it was the rider...???...I don't really want to dump a boat load of money into my sled, but I would like to beat my buddies zr900bigtwin.....I don't know if that is possible, but it would be nice. My other buddy has a mach z1000 and with clutch work, he ticked off 130 on the speedo.....how accurate that is, i don't know. He pulled up next to me on my t-cat last year, I was doing about 115 on he kept right on going......he might have a little too much top end for me to compete with...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got 104 out of mine (basically stock) on hardpack with the digital speedo. Blew away my friends ZR 900 out of the hole a bunch of times. Did a 600 ft. radar run the day after when it warmed and loosened up and the top F7 speed at the event was 85.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have the "std susp" (not snopro).

Not GPS'd or radar'd so who knows (although lots say AC's speedos are pretty accurate). I'm not even gonna post the speeds, but I will say that I am sure the picks are holding your top speeds back.

If the track alone (1" vs. 1.375) will noticeably rob top speed, 172 picks will make that even worse.

Although I am sure it probably stops real good.

Studs are a compromise. You are sacrificing top end for low/mid range traction and improved stopping power.

·
Registered
514 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bigblock2stroke @ Mar 13 2007, 06:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have the "std susp" (not snopro).

Not GPS'd or radar'd so who knows (although lots say AC's speedos are pretty accurate). I'm not even gonna post the speeds, but I will say that I am sure the picks are holding your top speeds back.

If the track alone (1" vs. 1.375) will noticeably rob top speed, 172 picks will make that even worse.

Although I am sure it probably stops real good.

Studs are a compromise. You are sacrificing top end for low/mid range traction and improved stopping power.[/b]
:thumbsup: YUP, 108mph out of my stock 06 F7 SP in about 1500-2000 ft. 112mph with a lighter rider, now with 153 pics I only see 103-105 at 7950rpm. But there is NOTHING thats has taken it out of the hole YET!

·
Registered
152 Posts
got 130 mph on the digital. before mods 120 was max on the same run. it's around1/2 mile,hard pack and ice.if you put 10 tooth drivers in make sure your track in adjusted right. mine was a little on the loose side and at that speed when i let off the track floated over drivers and got the heat exchanger.

·
Registered
464 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tunedbyear @ Mar 13 2007, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
got 130 mph on the digital. before mods 120 was max on the same run. it's around1/2 mile,hard pack and ice.if you put 10 tooth drivers in make sure your track in adjusted right. mine was a little on the loose side and at that speed when i let off the track floated over drivers and got the heat exchanger.[/b]
What are you in Canada or something (KPH?)

Was the 120 completely stock or with 10 tooth drivers?

How much did you gain on the top end with the 10 tooth drivers?

What do you think the best bang for the buck is to increase the top speed?

When in the mod process did you change gearing and to what gear set did you use to get to 130?

I like to run my tracks on the loose side too.

Keep loosening until it ratchets, then tighten a little until bit at a time until it stops. Saves on hyfax and track clips too. 4000 miles on original track and driver's. Changed hyfax once.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think I posted on the other thread, but I will put in my $.02 here too. I have an 03 F7 efi standard and I have gone from 1" standard track to 1" with 102 studs to 1.375" track with no studs then to 1.375 track with 170 studs. Each progressive step I lost around 3 or 4 mph, starting at 115mph and now being at about 103mph. I never really carried the GPS until the lately and the 103 mph came from the GPS, the speedometer is pretty accurate too. The extra rotating mass slows me down quite a bit, but the holeshot is so much better with the larger track and the studs it makes up for it for me. I don't hit triple digits that often, but I stop and go quite a bit.

·
Registered
130 Posts
rode my first real trail ride this last weekend.
My prevoius sled, 1999 1000cc T-cat, ZRT2 chassis, with some add on stuff, could bury the speedo, but GPS top speed of 104mph, I did re-gear for better lowend, ripsaw 1.25 with 144 studs.....I thought it would be faster but GPS don't lie....speedo guage way off!
Rode a 2004 F7efi standard with only 2 studs per bar.
Speedo hit 110mph on hardpack (not too bad)....didn't have GPS at the time, but when I was running the GPS it was pretty accurate, within 4-5mph (maybe spinning track).
thought the F7 would be faster.....ran against a MXZ REV 500ss, I spun like hell but was catching him, I really got toasted on the hole-shot, but was catching him before we shut down.
I thought it would be faster 0-75mph.

Sled ran fine, but noticed 2 things.
when running 3/4 throttle it would just run along fine and dandy, when you pinned the throttle (Wide Open) it was like another cylinder kicked in and would pull like a monster!!....could that be an APV issue?...sticky valves, cables out of adjustment?
Gas mileage wasn't that great...I was really dissapointed....compared to the 500ss, I was using twice the gas.
Oil sucks too....oil light would come on and I would only add 1 quart of oil and it would be full!!
Is gas mileage really that bad?!
I was pretty dissapointed coming from a Thundercat to an F7....I wanted something that would scream 0-90mph and that's what I thought F7's were made for...their reputation!!
Maybe I just got a lemon or one that needs some love to make it run properly again.
I bought it from a girl that knew very little about the sled....

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sounds like your f7 needs some lovin. The 500ss is a quick sled, but it really shouldn't put up that much of a fight. if you don't have any traction and he did your outcome makes a little more sense. From what I understand the 500ss is really a 600 anyways, if that is any consolation. The low oil light had some kind of recall, I think it was a oil sending unit sensor or something. There is an update anyways so it won't come on when only 1 quart low. Since you said you bought the sled from someone that might not have been the best at maintanance, I would check the powervalve cable length and also the clutch setup to make sure it is all on the up and up.

·
Registered
464 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (grouly925 @ Mar 14 2007, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sounds like your f7 needs some lovin. The 500ss is a quick sled, but it really shouldn't put up that much of a fight. if you don't have any traction and he did your outcome makes a little more sense. From what I understand the 500ss is really a 600 anyways, if that is any consolation. The low oil light had some kind of recall, I think it was a oil sending unit sensor or something. There is an update anyways so it won't come on when only 1 quart low. Since you said you bought the sled from someone that might not have been the best at maintanance, I would check the powervalve cable length and also the clutch setup to make sure it is all on the up and up.[/b]
I can't see that as any consolation.

I think there's something wrong. the 500 shouldn't be anywhere near you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bigblock2stroke @ Mar 14 2007, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (grouly925 @ Mar 14 2007, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like your f7 needs some lovin. The 500ss is a quick sled, but it really shouldn't put up that much of a fight. if you don't have any traction and he did your outcome makes a little more sense. From what I understand the 500ss is really a 600 anyways, if that is any consolation. The low oil light had some kind of recall, I think it was a oil sending unit sensor or something. There is an update anyways so it won't come on when only 1 quart low. Since you said you bought the sled from someone that might not have been the best at maintanance, I would check the powervalve cable length and also the clutch setup to make sure it is all on the up and up.[/b]
I can't see that as any consolation.

I think there's something wrong. the 500 shouldn't be anywhere near you.
[/b][/quote]

yep very true my 03 f7 blows by the apex,900fusion,zr900,zr800,rev800,even700triplemod so i also think that ("really a 600 engine") should be at the least 8 to 10 lengths away after 1000 ft

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have 2 buddies that have the 500ss (really 600cc)....skidoo's way of tricking everyone.
2006 and 2007, those things are really strong out of the hole...the '07 will stand straight-up and drag the rear bumper to 50mph and then it falls on it's face.....clutching is too soft after that.
No, I'm not kidding they are that good out of the hole.
Another guy has a 2004 or 2005 Mxz REV 800 (yeah, all my buddies ride Ski-Donkees). can't remember what year it is...they all look the same to me!
Anyway, all 3 of them 0-50 are almost side by side!!....and then the 800 pulls them on the big end.
The guy on the 800 was really suprised too....even my T-cat was running everything she had to get away from those little buggers. Needless to say I was really impressed and dissapointed in the F7.

Yeah, she might need some loving, I realize that...but hey...you never know, sometimes you get a good one.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I am sure a lot of it goes from sled to sled. I just know that I don't have problems with many other sleds except the mach z and other f7 cf7 and m7 sleds. With equal traction I don't lose that often unless racing a well modified sled and can't remember ever losing to a smaller one except once to a snocross 440 that went 0-60 in no-time flat. A lot of people say that the 03 F7's were the fastest but I have been beat by my father in laws 04 a few times, then he blew the motor and switched to a 2006 f7 motor, still in the 04 chassis, now I beat him. Never is the win by more than a few sled lengths and it is mostly because of traction.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts