Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Group!
I'm not only new here, I'm new to 4 wheelers. I just bought a 2004 Arctic Cat 400 WITH issues. Cranks slowly with no spark.

When starting, battery drops to 9 volts. There is no spark, and it cranks VERY slowly. I've not heard the solenoid click. I've used two verified good batteries, and both did the same thing. I have a 2nd 4wheeler that runs, and either battery will start if just fine.
Back to the 'Cat. The lights, and winch that operates the plow work fine. I've also load tested the starter. Removed plug and cranked with pull starter. Turned over just fine, with plug in and out. Yet, barely turns over with the starter. I've removed the flywheel cover, and verifed that it has a new 1 piece flywheel. Stator also looks good. Two pigtails from stator had clean looking disconnects. BUT, there were 2 loose red wires taped to 1 green wire (it could be the other way around, I'm kinda tired when I was working on it). Oil looks new. There is expected resistance when turing motor over by hand. Nothing binding felt.
I'm no atv tech, but I've wrenched on plenty of cars. I'm at a loss here. Any ideas, or known problems for this model/year?
Thanks in advance for your help :)

·
Registered
2004 Arctic Cat 400
1,282 Posts
Did you try and jumper cable over the solenoid? take a cable from + post on battery and tag it directly to starter for a second to see if the issue goes away? if the slow crank issue is gone look at your solenoid. if the issue is still there pull the starter out and try it again "on the bench" if it spins at normal speed out of the motor but cranks slow in the motor the brushes could be getting weak. If it spins at full speed with a jumper cable from solenoid then obviously getting a bad/weak contact in solenoid. IF you do change your solenoid put anti-seize on the studs.. you will thank yourself later.

2004 400s in my experience have coil failure issues depending on mileage/life, the coil is mounted above/infront of the spark plug and will see alot of thermal cycles in it's life. I'm on my 3rd coil now. in 7-8000 miles no odo

It sounds like 2 separate issues to me, starter system problem, no spark.

Those are the places I would check, Also. while you are digging around, pull the fuel tank and inspect the wires/wiring harness behind the fuel shutoff and along that frame rail, when they get higher mileage I've seen 3 of them chafe under there and ground main ignition wire to frame.

·
Administrator
41,905 Posts
Sounds like someone didn’t put the washers back in the correct place when they installed the magneto cover.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you try and jumper cable over the solenoid? take a cable from + post on battery and tag it directly to starter for a second to see if the issue goes away? if the slow crank issue is gone look at your solenoid. if the issue is still there pull the starter out and try it again "on the bench" if it spins at normal speed out of the motor but cranks slow in the motor the brushes could be getting weak. If it spins at full speed with a jumper cable from solenoid then obviously getting a bad/weak contact in solenoid. IF you do change your solenoid put anti-seize on the studs.. you will thank yourself later.

2004 400s in my experience have coil failure issues depending on mileage/life, the coil is mounted above/infront of the spark plug and will see alot of thermal cycles in it's life. I'm on my 3rd coil now. in 7-8000 miles no odo

It sounds like 2 separate issues to me, starter system problem, no spark.

Those are the places I would check, Also. while you are digging around, pull the fuel tank and inspect the wires/wiring harness behind the fuel shutoff and along that frame rail, when they get higher mileage I've seen 3 of them chafe under there and ground main ignition wire to frame.
Farrix, thanks for that. I did a load test on thte starter with it removed. I did not check voltage drop withh it out. ll do that today. I'll ckeck under the tank today as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like someone didn’t put the washers back in the correct place when they installed the magneto cover.
I didn't see any washers when I removed the cover. Looks like they didn't use the correct puller when removing the flywheel. Instead, they welded the tip of the crank threads. I don't think there's enough thread remaining to re-thread it. I'll either have to replace crank, or re-weld it when finished. :(

·
Registered
2004 Arctic Cat 400
1,282 Posts
You won't need to pull flywheel to look for washers, the washers ride on the transmission gears near the flywheel but the flywheel can stay in place to ensure the washers are properly located.

·
Registered
2004 Arctic Cat 400
1,282 Posts
Wiring diagram mymowerparts.com or countrycat.com will have a free service manual for 04-06 cat ATVs i think i function on the 04 one which has diagrams in the back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Group!
I'm not only new here, I'm new to 4 wheelers. I just bought a 2004 Arctic Cat 400 WITH issues. Cranks slowly with no spark.

When starting, battery drops to 9 volts. There is no spark, and it cranks VERY slowly. I've not heard the solenoid click. I've used two verified good batteries, and both did the same thing. I have a 2nd 4wheeler that runs, and either battery will start if just fine.
Back to the 'Cat. The lights, and winch that operates the plow work fine. I've also load tested the starter. Removed plug and cranked with pull starter. Turned over just fine, with plug in and out. Yet, barely turns over with the starter. I've removed the flywheel cover, and verifed that it has a new 1 piece flywheel. Stator also looks good. Two pigtails from stator had clean looking disconnects. BUT, there were 2 loose red wires taped to 1 green wire (it could be the other way around, I'm kinda tired when I was working on it). Oil looks new. There is expected resistance when turing motor over by hand. Nothing binding felt.
I'm no atv tech, but I've wrenched on plenty of cars. I'm at a loss here. Any ideas, or known problems for this model/year?
Thanks in advance for your help :)
Did you ever find the issue? I have the same issue with a DVX400 I'm working on. Just like you said. Cranks slowly and no spark.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts