Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Arctic Cat 400
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after replacing my 5th fuel gauge in my 400 arctic cat I've gotten fed-up and tired of paying the rising prices of the gauges ($45 10 years ago, $105 now)

I spent some time doing research and found this fuel cap & Gauge assembly for $45 Cad on Amazon, and have essentially determined Kelch gauges will work, but the float stick while being the same length is a touch short for 04 400 fuel tanks because once threaded in it rests higher (fuel neck) I believe the optimal length would be 8".

I haven't threaded it into a full tank of fuel yet but I believe this will read empty approximately the same time you switch to reserve (based on old math)

Has anyone found a successful way to plug the old fuel gauge port? I purchased some neoprene and nitrile rubber expansion plugs but can't seem to swell them enough by hand, I'm going to test fit one using my impact/drill just to see if I can swell it enough to seal.

I was wondering about some kind of aluminum plug with O-rings or something that would just be installed and forgotten about.

·
Registered
14,100 Posts
@Farrix, the sled caps with guage screws onto our era of atv’s. It’s just a matter of finding correct length. I know for a fact as the ATV cap fits my 2016 Bearcat. Bearcat cap w/guage doesn’t fit as it’s way too long. Older ZR chassis’s will have shorter guages. I don’t have one to test this.
As far as the ATV guage, I would fill the glass area with an epoxy to seal it.

·
Registered
14,100 Posts
Like you, I’m tired of the guages not lasting. However both these guages were changed at the same time. The 300 is perfect and the 400 is bad already. I do use the 400 more but both are always garaged.

·
Registered
2004 Arctic Cat 400
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@660catman The gauge I linked above is a 7" depth Gauge, I've threaded it into my tank and it doesn't hit/rub the bottom, the depth of of the fuel cap itself is a bit shallower (doesn't go as far down the neck) but that's not a big deal as the seal is made by the rubber not the thread.

The fact that it doesn't touch bottom for me is almost a better thing in my mind, I would rather know if I've been travelling one direction and I see my gauge is getting low, that I've got enough fuel to turn and burn back and hopefully still make it.

I'm testing a 1.25" hillman expansion plug to plug the old gauge hole, it may not be a permanent option but if it buys me some time to find a better solution so be it. I might just gut the existing fuel gauge and jam some fuel tank repair putty down the needle hole or something.

·
Registered
2004 Arctic Cat 400
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
could u not take the old lens of gas gage and dab about 1/8 of an inch of
urathane car winshield glue. that stuff is gasolene proof when cured.
I would use the old lens, if I had the old lens. pulling the needle out and urethane coating the surface isn't a bad idea though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ran across this post while trying to find a solution to the gas guage design flaw. I'm using my 300 for work in a fire hazard zone and it's leaking gas! Does anyone know of a replacement tank, without the bad guage, that would fit these machines? I know it's only been a couple weeks, but how's the expansion seal holding up?

·
Registered
2004 Arctic Cat 400
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Expansion seal worked great where I was riding on the weekend, it took double washer on the nut and using a drill to get it right enough holding it up a bit to get max grip on the seal, 7" gas gauge cap isn't quite long enough next time I'd try an 8"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts