Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some carb work done to my quad and I want to change the oil when I get it back and wanted y'alls option on this oil. It's been a long time since I have changed the oil and not sure what to use now.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would this be better?

·
Administrator
37,164 Posts
Any quality 10w-40.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If it has a wet clutch, then you have to use wet clutch rated engine oil. I'm not very familiar with that particular unit so don't know if it has a wet clutch or not. If it has a wet clutch, you don't want to use any oil with friction modifiers in it. Most 20 and 30 weight oils have friction modifiers in the oil. Many/most 40 weight oils do not. Personally, I use Rotella 5W40 T6 synthetic oil in all my ATVs and my RZR. Back when I had a motorcycle I used it in the bike too. I do add 1-1.5 oz of Lucas ZDDP additive since the newer CK4 versions of Rotella T6 have a lower zinc content. If you buy from certain retailers, (not Wal-Mart) you can get a nice rebate back from Shell for the T6. I buy it from a local farm store and when buying in the 2.5 gallon containers (I go through a lot between all my powersports units and my Kubota tractor) I can get it for right around $4 per quart.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Also, I like the 5W40 vs the 10W40 because they both lubricate the same at high temps but the 5W40 flows better and faster when cold.

·
Administrator
37,164 Posts
It has no wet clutch it is a Kawasaki engine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Rotella T6 5w40 for everything without a catalyst.
Might be one of the best oils on the planet.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello Pax.
I use T6 in everything I own that does not have a Cat.
T6 used be SN (Spark Ignition) certified. No longer.
I use it in everything I own that does not have a Cat.
650V2
Yamaha SVHO super charged/Seadoo 1500
Lawn tractor/power washers, etc.
My A3 does not have a cat.
Have a question?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Supposedly high zinc (ZDDP) content oils may reduce the life of the catalytic converter. Since most power sports equipment doesn’t have a catalytic converter ZDDP content is irrelevant. Zinc is an anti wear component of oil. It’s interesting that car engines have seen an increase in camshaft wear and I have to wonder if it is due to the reduction of zinc in the oil. I’d rather replace a catalytic converter than to replace an engine. Rotella T6 reduced the zinc content a few years back and then increased it slightly, although not back to where it was. That’s why I add a little Lucas ZDDP at each oil change (about 1-1.5 oz). ZDDP actually coats the wear surfaces with a sacrificial layer.

·
Administrator
37,164 Posts
Supposedly high zinc (ZDDP) content oils may reduce the life of the catalytic converter.

I didn’t know what a catalyst was either lol. Thank you for using proper terminology.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Several of my friends have told me the same thing

·
Registered
7 Posts
For what its worth, on my 06 650V2, 10W-40 is recommended, however can be substituted with 0W-40 which covers the entire ambient temp range.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts