Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster. I hope you can help me out. I have a new to me 04 Arctic Cat 400 4x4. I have no operators manual for it. Is there anything special about the engine oil? Does it use 10W-40? Do I have to use Arctic Cat oil? The numbers are worn off the filter but it appears to be 0812-034. Does this seem like the correct number? Is there anywhere to download an operators manual?
When using it yesterday it seemed to run hot. I only heard the fan run once and that was when it actually stalled out. How often should the fan run? If there is a temperature sensor bad can I wire the fan up manually? Thanks for any and all help.

·
Administrator
42,075 Posts
You can download a free service and operator manual at countrycat at.com under the technical section.
You must use wet clutch safe oil with no friction modifiers. See link

Reactions: 660catman

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
Operators AND service manuals are available to download for free from country cat. com under technical information. I’ve had an 03 400 since new and it takes quite a bit to get the fan on. It’s always been like that. Yes you can bypass the sensor and wire in fan directly or through a switch. Any oil you use has to be wet clutch safe. Most automotive oils contain friction modifiers which are not good. I’ve used Cat oil ACX 0W-40 since first oil change but that’s me. Not sure on aftermarket oil filters but you can go to Suzuki for one that fits the 400 Eiger.

Reactions: doorfx

·
Registered
2004 Arctic Cat 400
1,315 Posts
@Farmn You can use other oils, just ensure the oil is JASO-MA certified or better for motorcycle wet clutches. The oil filter for an 04 cat 400 is used on most cats except a 650V2. you can also get an oil filter for a Suzuki Eiger 400.

There is a large cross reference of oil filters compatible available on this site.

The 04 400 fan will hardly run at all on a cool day unless you are really beating that machine. My 04 400 used to only run for a small periods in the day ever. I have a writeup on here about wiring a fan bypass switch so you can force your fan on early if you're going to be riding hard. it's a very easy process I just don't want to type it again

10 40w oil or 0-40 in the winter for this machine. All cat dealers are declaring that cat has moved all their new machines to 15/50 and will only supply and carry 15/50 once the 10/40 supply runs out. I started buying my oil from Suzuki for that reason.

The 04 400 engine is a suzuki engine, i personally don't agree with Arctic Cat engineers telling me that Suzuki's engine will be happy running 15/50 in all weathers, when suzuki still specs 10/40 or 0/40 when it's cold out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts