Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finished my mod last year and figured I would post an update.

The goal for this mod was to get a brake caliper on both back wheels because I found I kept wearing out my rear left outer joint more often than any joint on the ride which I believe is caused by shock loading it when the one side stops the slack and lash in the system transfers the shock to the opposite corner. And to split my front and rear brakes so I have better hill descent control, and could be a jerk and do mud burnouts on a 400. It also gives me the added safety that if a caliper starts to seep again I don't lose ALL my brakes and I can narrow down my issue faster.

To do this on the newer style brake system you will need 2 junction blocks and 3 front caliper lines, and 2 rear caliper lines or 1 rear caliper and 1 custom

To do this mod I used:
2 rear right side knuckles from an 04 400 FIS and an 08 700 EFI (I've since switched both to the new style knuckle and wheel bearings. All 4 corners run the Koyo style bearing, less work changing them, cheaper, easier to get)

2 Rear calipers off the 08 700 EFI (my 04 calipers were worn out, seizing, and the seals were seeping and not rebuildable, spent a week trying to bleed them when both were leaking)

Custom brake line from a manufacturer in Ontario (Apex brakes I think) they do custom braided lines for import cars, having seen my routing and how much extra I have I believe I could have achieved this with a junction to rear caliper brake line from arctic cat, the custom one was 1/3rd the cost though.

2 Brake junction blocks (The one I already had, and one extra) from an 04 400 FIS

A few inverse flare plugs from a hose distributor/industrial supply shop (I bought them so long ago I don't remember the specs or I would post them, sorry, take the junction block in and have them find something)

An extra front wheel brake line with the threaded universal on 1 end and the banjo on the other. (the line that goes from the junction block to the caliper)

new pads, bushings, and sleeves for the back calipers and for the rear knuckles.

1 Right hand lever/master cylinder combo from a 660 grizzly, shouldn't matter what year/model so long as it's a banjo style mount for the brake line, and you can order a rebuild kit for it (I bought mine used from Ebay)

a few copper crush washers.

To do this mod it is far easier to pull the front fender and rack to have room to work in the front end, otherwise it is nearly impossible.

This is a fairly straight forward mod, I moved a few things around on my handle bars on the right side (Diff lock lever etc) to accommodate getting the brake lever someplace comfortable for me.

Connect the front wheel brake line to the master cylinder via banjo bolt with 2 copper crush washers, route the threaded end down by the steering column and into the front frame,

Gain access to the existing front junction block by unbolting it, locate the line that feeds the rear brake, have an inverse flare plug on hand, quickly remove the line and install the plug to prevent much brake fluid loss, the quicker you are the easier it is to re bleed the front brakes.

With this done the fronts are isolated to the existing left handle and after a quick re-bleed of the system will be working better than ever (more fluid displacement to fewer calipers) Be CAREFUL using them until you get used to them, they will now LOCK UP SOLID if you get too aggressive.

(More to come after I go shopping)

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I'm surprised that you had so much trouble. When I sold my 2001 AC 500, it had nearly 9,000 miles, original calipers all around, only changed out the pads a few times, same with my 02 FIS 400 with 4,500 miles. I like what you did, though. There is a guy in Sweden that put a second caliper on his AC Diesel and swapped a front locking differential to the rear, so he could unlock the rears. hmmm

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I swapped a front locker from a 700 into my 400 to get a locker, my 400 had 8 years of sitting in some farmers shed before I got it, all the seals were dried out and I've never had brakes to speak of on it until I did this mod. used to be 5 pumps before brakes worked, made me a slightly better rider because I always had to be that extra time ahead on my reactions, but a few times it really sucked. I'm around 5500 miles this year, my ODO stopped at 4700 ish (poplar branch came over the top and snagged the backside of the cluster hitting the cable hard enough to bust the plastic gears instead of the pod) so I've had no speedo or ODO for a couple years ($300 for an analog up here)

·
Administrator
37,132 Posts
Good job buddy ! I like the engine braking on the 700 I rarely use the brakes. Besides brakes are over rated:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts