Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an 04 400 last week on the cheap because it has "a few issues." The guy said it needed a new starter and gave me one NIB. The problem is the starter gear inside the cover won't turn. If you loosen the bolts holding the side cover on, it will turn. I have found pics from the repair manual, and a parts break down, but none of them show washers that are supposed to be there? I won't have time to pull the cover off for a few days, just looking for some advise from somebody who has been there before. The previous owner had the cover off to replace the magneto. Also pull starts fine.

·
Administrator
37,499 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, thanks for the replies. Is there anything I need to know about pulling the cover? Tips or tricks?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made time to pull the cover tonight. I found 6 washers and some gears fell out the bottom. He had put 2 smaller washers on the shafts for the starter gears. As far as I can tell these are not supposed to be there. It makes sense that loosening the cover bolts would allow enough clearance for the gears to turn, but when tight would bind up. So, where do these 2 washers go? after searching parts diagrams, I found that the gearshift shaft is the same diameter and should have 2 washers. It did not. Mystery solved. Also, on the pic doorfx posted the shaft with 2 washers, just to clarify, 1 washer goes on the outside of the gear and the other goes to the inside between the drive gear and the sliding gear. Thanks for the help, these forums are filled with great info!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Washers

Mopo47
Did you ever get a complete diagram or pics of exact placement of washers? How many washers are there total? I believe someone has been in the machine before me and washers are missing?
I can not shift into High or low. Also I discovered a wire coming out of the crank case and connecting directly to the battery? Does this aid in shifting?
Thanks for any info
rudycc07

·
Registered
943 Posts
wire from magneto case to battery is stator wire for recharging battery i believe. no shifting involved. yes washer are one on either side of gear in diagram. when you open the case ensure the dots lineup on the gear shift gears. also make sure the washer is in the back again..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey!! I have this same problem and have been searching for literally 2 years to find the solution. Did moving washers around fix it? I think some of my washers were lost when my magnets were glued back on to the flywheel. I'm interested in hearing how your machine is now

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Don't think I've ever heard of anybody gluing the magnets back on. Most just buy a new flywheel to solve the issue.

·
Registered
10,585 Posts
Don't think I've ever heard of anybody gluing the magnets back on. Most just buy a new flywheel to solve the issue.
There is no reason it can't be done. Magnets must be intact and in good shape. They also have to be glued in the same position, as in not flipped around. Spacing must be identical too.

·
Administrator
37,499 Posts
Yes a couple people have done it with pretty good success. JB weld hi temp is what they used I believe

·
Administrator
37,499 Posts
Awesome !! Thanks

·
Registered
10,585 Posts
do you have any pics of a 2005 400 automatic?
No pic's but here's what chat member NorthernMoose did to fix his

DoorFX thanks so much for the heads up on the washers!!! Mine's automatic it was a little different, but still GREAT advice!! Here's how mine were...
2 washers on the shifter rod. 1 against the engine casing and 1 against the cover.
1 really thick washer on the rod in the bottom of the casing!

·
Administrator
37,499 Posts

·
Administrator
37,499 Posts
Your welcome

1 - 20 of 20 Posts