Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upon attempting to replace my hyfax I discovered that the bolt that holds the front shock to the skid-frame had not only come loose and egged the hole in the sliderail but broke into the next hole. Can this be repaired? Is there a "quick fix"? Do I need to buy new sliderails altogether? With the lack of funds and lack of snow I am REAL hesitant to pay the dealer the estimated $350 that they want to install new ones.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you guys may have.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my '98, but not quite as bad as yours. I cut some thick aluminum stock, drilled it out so that I could bolt it to the rail, inserted a bass bushing, and used a longer bolt for the front shock. It worked just fine. I think there is a company that sells reinforcement kits for exactly this purpose. You could probably find cheap, used rails on ebay or the classifieds.

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
www.blizzardproducts.com
They have the rail repair kit. It also is good for reinforcing the existing non-egged out rails if you are hard through the moguls (like me). I've had this kit on my 900 for 2 seasons now. Works well. I suggested some changes to the design and they even implemented them. Good company. I'm happy with their product.

Steve

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I say these on E-bay a while back. Can still view even though they auction ended. Item# 110050833229. If you go to snowmobile parts search on E-bay type in the item # and page will come up. click the ask seller question and you may get a hold of them. I think these were from blizzard products.

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
i got 2 number 30's (cat number 1604-070)in the pic off ebay from a guy who was parting out a 2000 ZR700 and bolted them right in. then the front shock is supported by 2 bolts on each side instead of just one. much better idea in my oppion.

just need to grind a bit off your number 25 (cat number 1604-434 & 435)to clear the second bolt. unless you get one for that application.

happy riding!!

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
I had mine re-welded and re-drilled on my 98 Thundercat, it only lasted the season and egged out again, even after tightening them after every ride.......... I was going to try the rail repair kit, but I sold the sled.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have 02 zr 800, mine did yhe same as well as my brothers. I took 3/16x1"x 3" steel drill a 5/8 hole yhought it. i mounted the steel on the inside of the rails so you would not see it. you have to cot the alum. spacers back 3/16 and don't for get to paint the steel so you don't have problems with the steel and alum.. :chug: :sledder:

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mudslinger @ Jan 8 2007, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i got 2 number 30's (cat number 1604-070)in the pic off ebay from a guy who was parting out a 2000 ZR700 and bolted them right in. then the front shock is supported by 2 bolts on each side instead of just one. much better idea in my oppion.

just need to grind a bit off your number 25 (cat number 1604-434 & 435)to clear the second bolt. unless you get one for that application.

happy riding!![/b]
Excellent choice....................plus they give the rails much needed additional support.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZR guy @ Jan 8 2007, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have 02 zr 800, mine did yhe same as well as my brothers. I took 3/16x1"x 3" steel drill a 5/8 hole yhought it. i mounted the steel on the inside of the rails so you would not see it. you have to cot the alum. spacers back 3/16 and don't for get to paint the steel so you don't have problems with the steel and alum.. :chug: :sledder:[/b]
I did the same thing except I mounted them on the outside. I painted them green to match my rails. They are also somewhat hidden behind the front idlers.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slick @ Jan 8 2007, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I say these on E-bay a while back. Can still view even though they auction ended. Item# 110050833229. If you go to snowmobile parts search on E-bay type in the item # and page will come up. click the ask seller question and you may get a hold of them. I think these were from blizzard products.[/b]
I used some steel plates w/flanges, just like the aluminum ones in the lower left of your pic. I added them to the outside so stock parts between the rails will always fit without modifying them. This might help whoever buys my sled when skid-wheel maintenance/repair is required.

It saved the cost of replacing the rails, and has actually added better-than-stock durability/reliability to the skid.

Friends have had their rails welded & re-drilled... Or a larger hole drilled with a spacer/insert... And it always ends the same. It self-destructs. Welding, re-drilling with inserts... Is just an expensive temporary fix. It doesn't solve the problems of soft aluminum.

Adding the plates to the rails seems to be the best bet.

Too bad they chose to make the ones in the pic out of aluminum though. Aluminum is too soft to take long term pounding from the aggressive riders. Probably fine for the average trail touring types though.

:chug:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anybody know if mudslinger's solution will work on a '03 ZR900?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mudslinger @ Jan 8 2007, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

happy riding!![/b]

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I bought a 02 ZR skid and the holes where the spring slide mounts were slightly egged. Got lucky and bought a set of green rails off E-bay for $29.00 smackers at the same time the repair kit was listed. Not a scratch on them. Mudslinger's solution should work. These rails are basically all the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
keep youre bolts tight and they shouldnt egg out took mine till 4000 miles to egg out. i just rewelded and drilled them. i just try to make sure mine are tight before it hits the snow every friday night. remember also locknuts are a one use item, they wear out so if the locknuts been off a few times it wont hold worth a darn

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NythornZR @ Jan 9 2007, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Does anybody know if mudslinger's solution will work on a '03 ZR900?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mudslinger @ Jan 8 2007, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

happy riding!![/b]
[/b][/quote]

It won't fix the egged out hole, but it will help prevent them. If the holes aren't egged out yet, they can be added and the holes will stay intact.

I've been adding those #30 pieces to all my recent skids for my current sled.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys for all of your responses here. After considering all of my options I have purchased a rail repair kit from Blizzard Products. John was very helpful and seemd quite educated in the pitfalls of the 900. Will be installing it this weekend and hopefully we receive some white stuff soon to try it out.

Thanks again! :chug:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts