Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to delete the apv on my sled. I did a rebuild on lt from a ring spinning and i now have to rebuild it again because the valves hit the pistons. I know i seen them on here a few weeks ago but i cant remember the name of them. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
they dont make a delete for thr 5 and 600s only the 8 and 900s when u rebuild it take and grind the tips off the valves or make shims so u dont have to worry about it happening again

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a pic of the valves the you did? Where do i put the shims? How thick? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
i will take some pics in the am ive had alot of people ask about the shims because they dont want to grind on 500 dollor valves. I used sheet metal i cut it in to a rectangle and drilled a hole init then took the valves out and put the spacer in then put the valves back in so now when there closed they sit up the thickness of sheet metal ill take pics in the am its easier to understand with pics

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you get the pics? I am going to pull the head on sunday to see how bad the damage is and would like to get the valves all figured out before i put in a new top end again.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
first pic take the 4 bolts off that remove the cover. then take the top bolt out of the valve hold down.

then take a piece of sheet metal and trip it in to a rectangle drill a hole in the top of it.

pull the valves up and slide the shim in then bolt it in with the 1 top bolt so it cant slide. make sure its skinny enuff to not rub the valve shafts.

the shim goes above the valve hold down but below the valve cross bar so when the valves are closed the shim is holding it open a bit. the shim is just made of sheet metal prolly 20 or 30 thousandths thick. ive had these in both my 02 600s since i had a valve hit and have never had another issue i have 1000 miles on mine this yearRockerdude holler if u need anything else i can cut a few shims up for u if u need were are u at in michigan

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I work in roscommon i go ther 6 days a week

Would just adding another plate work?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
no the plates are really thick i live in roscommon call me if u want swing by and check them out for yourself were do u work at

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your help. The rings were fine so i just left those pistions in put the shims in valves and fired right up and it runs alot better now.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The piston on the clutch side has some scuffs on it but that is it. I found a pice of sheet medal i just had to do a little triming to make it fit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts