Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here we go,,, a buddy rode the sled all day in Michigan, has no problems at all. I take it the next morning, ride 4 mile to the gas station and shut it off. I got no gas as he filled it the night before. I start it back up after everyone has their gas and let it idle while I put on my helmet and jacket,,, it dies. We find out we have no fuel. Turns out the rear smart valve has sucked shut. I didnt realize that all I had to do was pull it apart and take out the white gasket and put it back together,,, so we blow into the fuel line at the fuel rail and get it to come back out. I get it to fire up and it runs about a mile down the trail and does it again. This time I decide to go get the other sled instead of putting up with this all day, so we cut the screen out of the fuel pickup and took the spring and gasket out,,,, she starts up and I run it the 5 mile back to the cabin. I had gps on the sled with me and hit 102 on the way back,,, so the sled ran FINE.
I get it home and we go out to play in the neighborhood,,, now it will not go over 6000 rpm. So I got me the new fuel pickup and get it put in there,,, I also pulled out all the fuel and put in 5 gallon of new fresh fuel, mixed with 1/3 quart of oil, and 7 ounces of fuel injector cleaner. I also go through checking compression and I have 131 on one side and 129-130 on the other. I pull the pipe and y-pipe and see that the pistons look good, no scoring at all. I also pull the power valves and they are CLEAN,,, I then pull and check the length of the power valve cables and they are in spec also. So as we put it back together, the plug boot comes out of the plug wire. We realize that it was in bad shape at the end (1 strand holding it on) so we strip it down some, get to good cable and screw the boot back on. Now time to test again
I take it out and it starts on the 3rd pull,,, still not running perfect, but a lot better than before. I let it idle for about 5 minutes then give it some throttle and it dies. I get it started again and head out to the field to make a pass. I pin the throttle and she flys,,,, climbs right up to 7700 rpm and pulls like it is new again. I then brake and turn around and bam,,,, she sounds like a Harley. Kinda like its running on one cylinder,,, check engine light is flashing and it appears to be constant. No 2 or 3 flashes then a pause,,, I run it back, shut it off and start it back up and again, she flies across the fields,,, turn it around and I get the check engine light flashing again, and sounds like its running on one cylinder. The temp by feel on the y-pipe, head, and jugs all appear that both cylinders are firing correctly,,,,

Do I have a plugged injector?? If I do, why can I get a good 1/4 mile pass before it screws up,,, Do I have a sled in limp mode for some reason?? Something to do with the throttle not returning properly and going into protect mode?? Am I having problems with the plug wires not running right??

The plugs are cardboard brown, I am using oil and I do have good compression. I am totally lost on this one. I would think that if it runs like its on one cylinder, yet both cylinders (by touch) are the same temp, that the problem would be one that is affecting BOTH cylinders and not just one. This would mean the fuel pump. But again, how can this be if the sled makes one pass holding the skis in the air for 50' (until I let off the throttle).
Thanks in advance
Brian

·
Registered
246 Posts
puree............did you clean the other fuel pickup? Sounds like you still have a filter colapsed??? Don't cut the screens out! The pickups pop apart really easy with a small screw driver. Clean them good with carb cleaner. Put them back together and it may just run fine. You may need to pull the entire fuel pump and pickups out of the tank to do the job right. Very simple to do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didnt realize that the screens came apart and all I had to do was pull the washer to get back,,, hindsight is 20/20,,,,
a buddy suggested the throttle safety switch,,, I do notice that the throttle seems to stick a little where it has never done that before, but I also have the harder to start symptoms and the backfire issue when it shuts off,,, so I am still thinking its fuel related.

is it possible that I got something in an injector or the fuel pump when the screen was missing?? if this is the case, is it possible to pull the injectors apart and clean them??

anyone else have any ideas??? man this thing is getting the best of me,,,

·
Registered
157 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (puree @ Feb 2 2007, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I didnt realize that the screens came apart and all I had to do was pull the washer to get back,,, hindsight is 20/20,,,,
a buddy suggested the throttle safety switch,,, I do notice that the throttle seems to stick a little where it has never done that before, but I also have the harder to start symptoms and the backfire issue when it shuts off,,, so I am still thinking its fuel related.

is it possible that I got something in an injector or the fuel pump when the screen was missing?? if this is the case, is it possible to pull the injectors apart and clean them??

anyone else have any ideas??? man this thing is getting the best of me,,,[/b]
Try your buddies idea first, you might save yourself some grief.
It can come and go depending on where the throttle is positioned, it's too easy of a check to not do it before ripping it apart.
Remember it's usually the simple stuff that we overlook.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update,,,, pulled the pucks and fuel pump,, the front puck was dirty as heck, and about half pushed in. Got them cleaned up, cleaned the power valves (not really dirty) and adjusted the cable,,,, took it out and it pulled like it used to. Pulled hard to 7700 rpm, then ces light started flashing 6 times as I let off the throttle,,, so back to the garage,,,

1 of the cables had come off,,, so we adjusted them to 34.5mm

now it pulls hard to 7700 rpm then falls back to 6grand,,,,, acts like the power valves arent staying open. There are 2 places where the cables can be put into the servo,,,, the first place the wires sit right in grooves,,, the second place they go over a flat piece then into grooves,,,, which spot do they go into?? I think I am down to no more than adjusting the valves and I have it running again,,,

thanks much in advance

1 - 6 of 6 Posts