Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, u got a 03 F7 efi and im gonna start modding it a lil bit to go faster. I heard a timing key is a must have. What degree is best, 2 or 2.5 or ??
What r the pros & cons of a timing key? Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 2.5 degree. If you put one in you must run premium unless you like to rebuild your engine. Some guys say that it is still safe to run 87 with the 2.5 but I always run premium no matter what.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
03 F7s had a more aggressive ECU map then the rest of the F7's. Im pretty sure they dont need anymore timing

I wouldn't bother running a big key in a 03. Maybe a 1.5 at the most.

Are you already clutched?? Clutching and gearing is bang for your buck. D&D makes a nice kit for F7's. Get magnaforce weights.

More timing builds torque down low, but can hurt hp from 7900+ rpm.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Just saying what worked for me.. 04 F7 efi. 2deg key, bmp y pipe and stealth pipe (ceramic coated to keep pipe hot) an ODS clutch kit.. 06 remap. Went like snot!!! I took all my goodies out and sold the sled bone stock, I put all the goodies in my wifes 06 F6 R and it goes like snot now... (I had to tune the clutches but that's about it)

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
as for ecu 06 is the best by fare 03 map is like this fat on the bottem lean in the middle and fat on top 06 is good every wear but you can run more timming 2 diggre is a good one cant go wrong. and yes on some sleds you can loose a little on top hp but most of the time not it gains.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does it matter where i get the timing key from (bmp or ods). Im not clutched yet but goin to be. Leaning tords the ods clutch kit. Plan on bmp y pipe and eithet bmp pipe mod or the bmp stealth pipe.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
I would recommend you get a D&D kit with MAgnaforce adjustable weights.. Or similar Clutching with Cutler Weights. CLutching and Gearing with have you light years ahead vs a timing key.

Just keep that in mind!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Ace has a good point they all flow together.. What the key did for my Firecat was it got rid of the famous Take Off bog.. Better response off the flipper... It's a cheap upgrade.. 20-30 bucks?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ace has a good point they all flow together.. What the key did for my Firecat was it got rid of the famous Take Off bog.. Better response off the flipper... It's a cheap upgrade.. 20-30 bucks?
I just ordered a 2.5 timing key from bikeman shipped to my door was $30. A guy i know said the key really woke up throttle response, quickened it up a bit. Im gonna be lookin into a ods clutch kit to help f7 pull like a freight train.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I was thinking ods clutch kit
ODS is a great choice for the 03 but they are getting harder to find. Be careful removing that flywheel if you have never done it before. be sure you do not damage the stator when you bolt on the puller.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ODS is a great choice for the 03 but they are getting harder to find. Be careful removing that flywheel if you have never done it before. be sure you do not damage the stator when you bolt on the puller.
The ods says they still got clutch kits but to email first. Im gonna take the sled to my sled mechanic uncle to have him do the timing key(ill help/observe). Any one ever try the bmp stealth pipe or bmp pipe mod? What ones better?

·
Registered
153 Posts
03 F7s had a more aggressive ECU map then the rest of the F7's. Im pretty sure they dont need anymore timing

I wouldn't bother running a big key in a 03. Maybe a 1.5 at the most.

Are you already clutched?? Clutching and gearing is bang for your buck. D&D makes a nice kit for F7's. Get magnaforce weights.

More timing builds torque down low, but can hurt hp from 7900+ rpm.

what ace said, 03s dont need nothing, not even reeds or pipe, they pull best stock, the 03 clutching is bang on also, once you start modding, u gotta clutch for it also, any aftermarket reed will drop hp in 03s, get some new weight bushings, and springs, freshen up secondary, and rock...... 03s had a lighter crank and more timing, so dont do anything to em, stock 03s spank almost anything till 110, if set up right, ace will agree!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.