Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does a factory muffler vs a aftermarket can make more Hp?

I have both which one should i run with?

The factory can is much heavier. The aftermarket is much lighter. I always thought weight loss equals HP.

Also I don't know what kind of can this is. I did paint it with high heat flat black paint. Any ideas what kind it is????

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
the newer engines need some back-pressure to run smoothly. backpressure basically forces the piston back down the cylinder to get an easier higher RPM. the can decreases backpressure, and therefor decreases power. they still give you a wickid sound and give you decent bottom-end, but on a 2-stroke, you power curve is highest at a higher RPM. and it doesn't rob you HP much, so if a wickid sound is what your lookin for, use the AM one. if you want power, use a tuned pipe and Y-pipe kit.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you want land owners to take their land back and piss them off then go with the aftermarket. If you want to ride legally and not piss of people rifd the stock one.

If you ride the lake then do either. Im sick of people thinking they are cool cuz they can go braaapppp!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info MASSCAT67 looks like I'm using my stock can.

"Im sick of people thinking they are cool cuz they can go braaapppp!!" ???? It was a question. I got both can's when I bought my sled. So that's why i asked what was a better can to use.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sall good man, just letting you know I had one on my mxz and it gets boring after a while. I also noticed power loss on my mxz with this so called performance cans.

Wont ever put one on again unless there was some kind of pipe and can application that proved it was worth the money.

Plus there are less expensive ways to get power. start with clutching!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts