Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,long time viewer but first time posting.I have an 03 f7,last time riding I was going across a lake WOT when the belt blew.The belt actually broke in half like someone pulled it apart.Any way after replacing it the sled didnt seem right.On a jack stand it will rev to 7400/7500 rpms then drop back to 7000 rpm.A friend of mine whos well seasoned with firecats and I have checked the following.Power valves are operating properly,Checked both clutchs,checked smart valve in tank,compression is good,Removed y-pipe and looked at cylinders, didnt see any damage, checked chaincase,swapped out computer,cut back plug wires 1/4".He seems to think either stator is bad or crank is out of phase from when the belt blew.Only time ive had a belt break like that was on my zr 580 when the motor seized.Looking for suggestions.I keep wondering what would have caused the belt to break like it did,and am thinking what ever caused it is whats giving me problems.Ive searched all over the site to find some solutions but nobody seems to have had this type of problem.Any help would be appriciated.Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didnt see any visually,had one in the secondary that I removed,Its efi,I havent seen anything flashing , the rpm dropping is very consistent,goes right to 7400 and drops back to 7000 everytime,doesnt fluctuate much between runs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just checked the crank on the clutch side with a degree wheel and it doesn't seem to be out of phase, pulled flywheel and keyway is fine. I'm not sure if it it over revved due to the load bang from the belt and wind noise ,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Figured it out, had one clutch Weight that the bushing was worn bad and the weight was rubbing against the tower, rebuilt clutch and runs great. Doesn't make sense to me that that's what was causing the problem but it's the only thing we fixed and it worked. Does it make sense to anyone else? Thanks to everyone for trying to help

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
Figured it out, had one clutch Weight that the bushing was worn bad and the weight was rubbing against the tower, rebuilt clutch and runs great. Doesn't make sense to me that that's what was causing the problem but it's the only thing we fixed and it worked. Does it make sense to anyone else? Thanks to everyone for trying to help

makes perfect sense. probably why your belt blew too.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I have been fortunate to have only have two belts blow apart on WOT pulls. Both times I had no warning & it scared the He77 out of me. The 03 clutches, are POS's. If they're rebuilt early enough they work fine, but will need the weight bushings replaced every 1000 miles or so. Possibly sooner. If they go unchecked, the weights will start chewing up the housing & not shift well. 04+ is a way better design & go 3 times the distance before needing anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would an 04 clutch be the same setup as 03 as far as clutch weights and spring? And yes my bulkhead finally cracked , I'd been keeping an eye on it but it finally gave in at about 4500 miles. Sled now has close to 5000 on it , should I think about a new set of pistons and rings ? Compression is 118 when we checked it .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts