Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I have been working on my friends 2003 fire cat 700. He had it given to him by one of our friends. Our friend rebuilt it and it had no spark so they let it sit outside and it got water in the engine. He brought it to me and wanted to me go right through it and rebuild it again. We got a used bottom end and I put renewed cylinders on it. Got it all together and added antifreeze and it leaked out the seephole. Pulled the engine out again and put a new water pump shaft in it and seals. Got it all together and no spark and it pulls kinda hard. Not sure if it’s assembly oil making it pull hard? I have unplugged everything from the handlebars (tss, kill switch) and the ignition. I have tested the stator and it tested bad so they had another one that ohmed out good, I installed that one and nothing. I swapped ignition coils and nothing. I ohmed the pickup sensor and it was in the 90’s. I have the stator wire grounded to the back of the block and a ground wire from the frame by the steering shaft to the recoil. The light bulbs don’t glow when I pull it over either. He has the same sled that runs so I’m gonna check and see if the symbols are the same on the computers and swap them. If that doesn’t work than I am stumped and have way to much time in this. Any help would be appreciated greatly. Thank you!

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had to remove the engine again because I forgot the snap ring for the water pump seal. It sat apart for a little while so I forgot that snap ring. Talk about this thing being cursed. Anyway, is there anything I can look at for the spark issue while it is out? I will Definetly check all the wires and make sure they’re intact.

· Registered
14,353 Posts
If you don’t have, download both a service manual and wiring diagram from country cat . com under technical information. Have you tested to see if you’re getting power out of the stator? If you are, then it’s a good chance it’s the ECU. Wiring diagram will tell you what pin is what in the ECU. I take it the other one was different. 03-06 700’s are all the same within each of its type, circle, square or triangle. You could switch over the injectors too and test.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. How would I test to see if I’m getting power out of the stator? By having someone pull it over while I have my tester in the connector? And what voltage would I be looking for out of what plugs? I haven’t switched computers yet because I had to pull the engine again. I hope to get it back together this weekend and then swap computers as long as his other one is the right symbol.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I got it all back together and grabbed the other ecm. It fires up then dies right off. If I try to pull it immediately after it won’t even fire. If I wait a few minutes it will fire again then shut right off again. It has fresh premixed gas, fresh plugs, and everything has been checked at-least twice or more. Any suggestions?

· Registered
14,353 Posts
I’m at a loss here on this without throwing parts at it left and right.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ran the fuel pump with an external battery and it flowed fine. I am gonna test fuel pressure. I have a feeling it is working but not putting enough pressure out. The sled has sat for a few years. To test for fuel pressure I could just put an inline gauge in the fuel line and pull it over a few times, correct?

· Registered
14,353 Posts
Yes, not sure what pressure on those models but the older EFI’s were around 38. It’s probably around 40ish. The Cat atv’s are 43.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did read it was 40-42 if I remember right. I just wasn’t sure on if pulling it over would produce enough fuel pressure. If it doesn’t I will hook the battery back up to the fuel pump and test it that way to double check.

· Registered
14,353 Posts
For some reason I have it in my head that the first pull will prime the system and the second pull will start the sled. This is on a cold engine. Warm will always start first pull. This was true for my 05 Sabercat 600 and even my old 93 Pantera EFI but that had battery EFI.

· Registered
14,353 Posts
There is specs in the service manual for air temp and coolant temp sensors.

· Registered
14,353 Posts
Post #4 I said to download one from country cat.com

Reactions: Crossfire2018

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I forgot about that. I found the specs and tested the trigger/pulser sensor and it ohmed out good. Connector looked good too. I have unplugged the air temp (not sure if it makes a starting difference) and nothing. I’m at a loss. He ordered another computer so I can put his back in his sled. I am just hoping that there’s something with this computer where it won’t work on this sled, even though it works fine on his main one. Getting desperate haha.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts