Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, welcome to the most wonderful time of year! (And i dont mean because of christmas).
I fired up the F7 a couple weeks ago and had some problems. The engine will engage the clutch but just as she is about to rev up the engine cuts out completely. This problem happens around 20 mph, so its at a relatively low RPM.
Also, when i touch the throttle the engine light will flash once. I can touch the throttle light enough that it wont rev up the engine but it will make the light flash.
I have done a search here and found potential probs:
The bog and cut out might be smartvalves (I dont know what these are...something in the gas tank?), or deadman switch (although based on the symptoms, i dont think its this) and the CEL is a throttle position sensor.
Can anyone add any info or confirm this for me? I am heading back to the farm which is away from internet and parts stores, so i need a plan of attack.
Sasky

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone know how to check the smart valves in the tank? Does anyone know how to check the throttle position sensor?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used fuel stabilizer...but gas is always a concern over the summer. The engine would basically shut off completely, like i hit the kill switch, but if i would take my hand off the throttle it would idle perfectly. I dont think this could be caused by gas, but maybe. There was no signs of critters (I use shavings of soap, irish spring, and it has worked for the last few years...as a sidenote).

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Reach in the gas tank, the smartvalves look like two hockey pucks. On mine I took off the rear valve, opened it up and took out the white washer. Not your problem right now but I found the older valves without the pin hole like on the newer ones tend to be stuck closed and not let gas through.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. I took it out today with the same problem...the CEL flashes once when the throttle is pushed. If i am driving along at something midrange RPM, then punch it, it bogs down almost to stall and then takes off...but wont stall.
Grinch, you suggested bypassing the TPS switch, do you mean the deadman switch or the TPS on the throttle body?
We got a good dump yesterday, but its looking like the sleds gonna be down for the holidays bang your head

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Talked to the dealer and they said the single flash is the throttle body, and its usually a bad connection, so i checked that and the wires are good. This means that it must be the sensor. Does anyone have any experience with it?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
there use to a thread on here sask on how to do it but i dont see it ,i went to the zr forum and its up on the top of the page ,bogging and cutting out ya might want to go check it out and try the bypass,nothing to loose , Cat happy good luck

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Grinch! I checked it out and it sounds like the same problem so i will check it out tomorrow...BUT, I am not sure if this system is the same for the F7's, and if this would set off the CEL. Either way i appreciate the effort and I will look into it.
Does anyone have any experience with the throttle position sensor on these sleds such as cost and methods of replacing? Do you need to get a dealer to "zero" a new one?
Thanks guys and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
im sure of the ohm readings i think they are like 400 ohms with the throttle at idol and 5000 with throttle opened up there is a thread on here with the correct ohms on all swtches ill see if i can find them for ya Cat happy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took it into the stealership today, hopefully the cat computer can figure out the TPS for me. I will keep you posted

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
I'm not an expert on it... but I think the F7 has a ( Limp Home mode ) ... if a sensor fails with incorrect reading's... the max you can get for rpm's is about 2000. It mentioned light's could also cause the limp home mode to activate...even light flickering in and out ..like a short... We are working on other issue's and I happened to read that in the 750 page manual ... ( covers many model's & cc's & years )

·
Registered
693 Posts
Pantera99, if it was in limp mode and all you get is 2000 rpm how do you limp home if the clutches wont engage ???? 2000 rpm is just above idle???????????

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cabbarber @ Feb 8 2010, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
my 05 f7 is doin the same thing, let us no what the stealership said and how much$[/b]
It was typical..$200 for labour, and didnt fix it. He said the TPS was slightly out of adjustment, so he adjusted it but when i got it home it still was doing the same thing, CEL and all.
I looked into the throttle safety switch (TSS) and to disengage that you need to pull apart a two-wire automotive style plug that is behind the servo/under the gas tank. I unplugged this then took it for a ride and it helped out alot at the start but still would cut out when i punched it for about the first 15 mins, then after about 15 mins it mysteriously fixed itself... When i parked it was perfect again...?
I blew out my knee playing hockey a few weeks ago, so havent been able to ride. Next week i hope to give it a try again. But try to unplug the TSS first.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts