Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the cowling from under my new to me 03 F5 SP to check on a coolant leak, which
turned out to be a bad factory clamp on the waterpump. But, while underneath the machine
I found the crack these models are known for (I found a number of old threads on the topic here
on ArcticChat, I was happy in a way to know many have seen this, so there's lots of experience fixing it ) I've attached a photo of the damage. It looks to have been cracked for quite some time.
[attachment=142615:pC230004.JPG]

From the threads, welding the crack and upgrading to an 04 F-series engine sideplate brace are the steps to take. There was a mention of a brace/bracket upgrade kit, but I couldnt find the part number listed anymore. I'll talk to the local Cat dealer about it. I suspect this F5 has had none of the recalls or upgrades done
Has anyone plated the bulkhead after welding, or instead of welding? I thought about cutting 2 aluminum plates to fit both sides of the bulkhead, and bolting them together.
Any input on this old topic is appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
My F7 had a cracked bulk head and i just went and ordered a new one. It came with the updated braces and everything in it. It was like a whole kit that even had the new colant bottle and hoses and everything. I figured instead of trying to patch what was there i just got a new one and installed it. Putting a new one on is a bit of work and time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that would be an expensive option I would imagine - a project I'd probably have completed in time to put it away for the season.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had the same crack, had it welded then welded a plate over it, problem solved, it"s a lot cheaper than replaceing the bulkhead

1 - 5 of 5 Posts