Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at an 03 AC 5oo auto. Haven't had a wheeler in years and was wondering what I should look out for. Are there any major problems with these machines? Any insight would be appreciated.

SCM700

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I've never heard anything bad about the 500 auto's, unless you're a speed freak, and I'm pretty sure that 50+mph is fast enough for me. I know I love my 500 TRV.
JD

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kancoyote @ Jan 10 2007, 03:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've never heard anything bad about the 500 auto's, unless you're a speed freak, and I'm pretty sure that 50+mph is fast enough for me. I know I love my 500 TRV.
JD[/b]
After reading a lot of posts on this site it seems that the 500's have a lot fewer issues than the 650 V2's. Speed is not an issue for me on a wheeler, more of a work machine. I get my speed fix in the winter on the Sabertooth!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kevinbender0311 @ Jan 10 2007, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
500 is a good machine, is the 03 your looking at have independent suspension in the back? auto trans?[/b]
There are 2 close to me one is an Auto with 1100 miles the other has 239 miles. I haven't gone to look at either one yet, as I am still trying to find out if they are the right machine for me. Does the 03 500 come with independent or solid axle rear suspension? I definitely want independent rear suspension. They are both asking $5995 Canadian. Does this sound like a decent price? Compared to the Honda Rubicon prices around here it's a good deal.

·
Administrator
7,967 Posts
An 03 and an 05 are pretty much the same machine under the different plastic. Same travel, same engine. I have an 03 (manual trans) and an 05 auto( 500's.) The 03 has more top end speed but the auto will out accelerate it. --no shifting-- I like them both. 5995 sounds to high to me. Go to Kelly Blue Book.com and get a better idea of what quads are worth, its listed under motorcycles. I just checked my 05 out and it was worth 4480 u.s. funds. Whats the current exchange rate? u.s. to Canadain?? I was at the dealer last week an 07 500 out the door was 6450 (u.s.) Hope this helps ya.

·
Registered
434 Posts
:thumbsup: Saber. I have a very close friend with an 03 500 auto.He has had the machine since 04 it was a new hold over the only thing he says he doesnt like is it does not have the locker and it does not have the reese type reciever for the hitch in the rear.I had just sold my 05 500 auto in november I got 5,000.00 u.s for it .My machine was piped ,jetted and had a clutch kit in it and 600 hard miles and it was snorkled.If you are looking for a work horse and pending on how heavy of loads you will be pulling it may be worth looking for a year newer with the hitch and locker.Motor wise neither of us ever had a problem could ride all day in the heat or all day in the snow they are tuff machines.Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know this may sound stupid to you ATV guys but what is a locker? Is that a front differtial lock? Does the 03 500 not have this option?

Thanks

·
Registered
434 Posts
:thumbsup: You betcha saber it is the front dif lock sorry i didnt say that earlier.I do not know if my best friends was an early 03 and they just didnt have it or if thay all do not have it.It does help pullig and if you get in some deeper stuff.Those are the only two things my friend dislikes about his.The hitch and no frnt diff locker.I also think the air intakes may be a litltle diferent also since the gas tanks were up front then instead of back like now.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
The 03 is a solid machine. Like stated earlier, it doesn't have a front diff lock or a reciever hitch, and the foot opperated rear brake is complete junk. They offered both the ACT rear suspension and the independant, the independants were labeled 500i.

To add a reciever hitch is really easy if you have a welder, I added one to mine and I love it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I recently sold my '03 500i auto. I think the 500 is probably the best all-around machine AC makes. Drop dead reliable. Totally bullet proof. You will not need the front locker as much as you think you might need it (re-read that, several times) UNLESS you spend a LOT of time in minimum traction conditions such as mud and snow. Complaints are few - it's a gas hog (carry extra on the rack), receiver for hitch (easy fix), OEM tires (again, easy fix), and the afore mentioned locker. The auto trans is one of the best on the market, the belt will last for years (unless you are using it to pull trucks out of the ditch). It doesn't have the most power, is not the fastest, is not the most comfortable, but when the others have crapped out, you'll be the one pulling them home while carrying all their stuff (and your stuff) on your racks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input guys but I'm sad to say both of the machines I was looking at are sold . I now realize that although the AC wheelers are not real popular, they sell fast!

·
Registered
434 Posts
:thumbsup: You are correct i had mine posted on e bay for a total of 5.5 days and ended up selling to a guy about 40 miles from me.They do go fast good luck looking

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
my wifes 04 500 auto we got brand new out of the crate in the spring of 06 for i believe that it was 4700 (us dollars) with the warrenty. now the 04 brought in the reice 2inch reciever hitch but no front diff locker. she absoutely loves it and i would rather take her machine out of the garage to do chore type work around the house than my v2. might want to look around and see what is out there for left overs, there still out there, my dealer just got rid of his last 04 (dvx) and has a bunch of 05's left over. might be worth your time to spend a few hours and call any/all dealers in your driving area and see what they are willing to do to get a brand new leftover off there showroom floor, if your up for a drive i'll hook you up with my dealer!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts