Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ZR will backfire when I start it up and it did it so bad at the gas station that the lady pumping gas next to me thought a gun was shot near her hahaha. Anyway I just got some service done from my mechanic and I was using the NGK br9eya plugs, But my mechanic told me not to use those plugs and he put in NGK br9es plugs. I did have a backfire issue on the sled before I brought it to him because I gapped the plugs wrong plus I had an over heating issue which is now fixed along with new cylinder head o-ring gaskets because they where bad due to the over heating, which now the over heating is fixed.

What would cause this to backfire on start up is it the type of plugs?

·
Premium Member
3,390 Posts
we use br9eya plugs in our 02 zr 600 efi
ours was backfiring when we bought it used as well
the po said he bought gas at some place in traverse city and it back fired since
we pulled the exhaust off and it had a broken piston skirt
replaced pistons and never back fired again

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thats one thing that I will check out. It only backfires at start up and it never bogs or anything. I looked at the plugs there a little wet and a light brown color, So I put a new set of plugs in and it did not backfire the first time its been on and off it does not backfire all the time it just randomly backfires when I start it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
zr 600 backfire

I have a zl 500 efi that backfired on start up as well, I put new gas in and changed the plugs and it did not backfire anymore.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was kind wondering if its a gas problem, I know my owners manual says I should run non oxygenated fuel. but its hard to find here and I have been putting in the 92 octane. My mechanic said it should be fine to run it with 92 octane even if it is oxygenated fuel

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Also, old plugs will contribute to this, mine used to do it when I bought it until I put in new plugs.
The guy i bought it from had not changed them since never.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
When you stop are you letting it idle all the way down before you shut it off? The excess fuel that is not burnt will cause this sometimes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts