Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 zl 500. I have been fouling out plugs left and right (I replaced 16 plugs in 185 miles). I also consumed more a gallon and a half in that time. I took the carbs off to see if the pump was adjusted correctly and it was perfectly adjusted. I’m assuming that the pump is bad, but I wanted to see if there was any other cause that I am overlooking. I use klotz oil instead of factory oil so viscosity may be different, but I wouldn’t assume that would be enough to cause this much of a problem. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,771 Posts
Your fuel traps may be dry rotted and leaking fuel. (3) Is there any smell of gas or gas under the sled? Check the fuel and vacuum lines under the carbs for cracks. Have you checked to see if the correct jetting is in the carbs and the carbs are working smoothly? May have bad crank seals, just a guess though. Never heard of a pump being that bad. You may have a couple different problems going on at one time.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's a lot of oil, my fathers 500 Powder Special had a sticking oil pump. The arm on the pump would get stuck in the full or near full open possession and use a lot of oil. pull up on the arm a few times and see if it may be sticking on?

·
Registered
9,771 Posts
That's a lot of oil, my fathers 500 Powder Special had a sticking oil pump. The arm on the pump would get stuck in the full or near full open possession and use a lot of oil. pull up on the arm a few times and see if it may be sticking on?
Good point!

·
Registered
9,771 Posts
When you say a gallon and a half, do you mean oil or fuel? If you mean just oil maybe the pump is shot. I have read many times when they fail they go practically wide open as a safety thing. I suppose its a possibility.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I meant a gallon and a half of oil in 186 miles. I know the pumps are pretty stout which is why I asked. If it defaults to wide open, that would make a lot of sense. I’m going to replace the pump and see how it is afterwards

·
Registered
9,771 Posts
My guess is the pump then. Please post your results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts