Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Mountain Cat 600EFI, I got it last season and it ran great. at the very end of last season the sled died on me in mid powder turn. The sled would turn on but as soon as you put enough throttle on the machine to move it, it would die again. after a couple hours of this i got it to work where i could move it just fine. I chalked it up to water in the tank but this season i find the sled doing it every time i go riding.
Sled will work on roads but as soon as i need enough power to go up a hill thats not gradual, it dies.
Have replaced the spark plugs, didnt really help, could it be the power valves? fuel injector?....Any ideas would be helpful!
Thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
Check the stator
Any tips on how to check the stator?

And did you drain the tank and use fresh fuel? It could be water in the tank. Or old/stale fuel that throws off your timing.

I dont think that power valves will effect your sled until 5000+rpm, but i could be wrong.

And if you have a worn/corroded wire going to your fuel pump, that could do it. If its just not getting enough juice to supply enough fuel.

But...im thinking that maybe, you over heated it and melted your rings last year. So its not quite siezed, but close to it? You could pull off your exhaust y-pipe and take a look at the sides of your pistons. Maybe they are scratched all to hell and not sliding nicely in your cylinder. Cold starts can also scratch up your pistons and sieze the engine, make sure you let er idle for a minute or two before riding, and two or three before full throttle.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Any tips on how to check the stator?
Black/red to green/red = 17 ohms
green/red to brown/white = 17 ohms

blue/white to blue/white = 19 ohms

orange to orange = 1.9 ohms

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I dont think its seized, I always let it warm up for a while and I'm really good about keeping my fluids level and not over riding on compact snow.
When I find the problem i'll post what it was if anyone was curious

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.