Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 M800 EFI and I have gone through 3 spark plugs in the same cylinder, in less than 250 miles of riding this year. Plus, one of the plugs was covered in oil at the post of the plug, (NOT THE SPARK SIDE, the side where the plug wire connects) Is this normal and has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers,
Spee

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would say you have a problem. I have not replaced any plugs in over 6000 miles on my '03 800efi except before the first ride of the year because I feel guilty. It has never fouled one or for that matter never even taken more that 3 pulls to start in the morning(in canada at -25F). Mine was very rich on oil when I bought it new but it still didn't foul the plugs before I got home and adjusted the oil pump.

·
Registered
253 Posts
welcome call Where is the oil coming from? Is it leaking around the spark plug and shooting up somehow? I dont see how there could be oil on the ceramic.... If you dont know just wipe it clean and leave the hood up while its running and watch it, that would be my suggestion. Good Luck :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, guys! I went to my local Dealership, Waldrens AC and asked what they thought it might be and the plug wire didnt have a good connection and the plug wire arced directly to the head insead of going through the plug. I trimmed up the plug wire ( to expose new contact) and bought a new plug cap. Reinstalled both and the thing purrrss like a kitten now. I still dont know what the oil looking stuff was on the post/ceramic but I dont think I will see it any more. I will be riding this weekend and I will make sure to keep a close eye on it.

Thanks,
Spee

1 - 4 of 4 Posts