Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my last outing I was a little too rough on my cat. I tried taking too steep of a hill and got it stuck on its side. It ran for at most 5 minutes before I killed it to prevent damage. It stayed like this for an hour to three hours. We decided to flip it over by pushing it to get it on all four wheels, which took at most ten minutes. Where it sat for about six hours. The next day I found some people who helped me pull it out and back to the truck. When I got home I found a small amount of gas in the oil, so I changed the oil and the filter. I took the carb off and cleaned it too. I found some water in the gas, likely from washing it at home. So I flushed the tank. I did remove the plug and turn it over a few times to make sure water did not find its way there. Now when I fire it up and it is cold I have no smoke, but after it warms up white smoke comes out of the exhaust. What should I check?

·
Administrator
35,825 Posts
You let it run for five minutes on it’s side?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once I realized I could not use its own power to get in stuck, I killed it. It was probably more realistically in the range of one to two minutes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the best course of action for the internal condensation?

·
Administrator
19,883 Posts
What is the best course of action for the internal condensation?
Just burn it out by running it and getting the exh hot, with time, depending on how much is residing (within), it’ll burn itself “dry” and quit smoking.

See this a lot with atvs that folks “eventually” end up having a complete top end job performed on (new piston assembly/gaskets and valves/seals) with cylinder bored and honed to proper specs, and still have smoke exiting their tail pipes, first thing they do is point a finger at establishment that did the work... 😆

Most shops don’t have the time to run machine long enough to burn away deposits accumulated from many hours of operation by owners who are neglecting a problem (and the said owner still wants to point elsewhere!) 😵🙄

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do... I can run it tomorrow and post an update.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I ran it for a few hours today and the problem is no longer there. Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well,it appears to be white smoke with a bluish tint.... I ran it about 50 miles a week ago and it burned off half to three-quarters of the oil. I checked compression and it was in spec but lower than when I checked it before this issue. Any ideas on what I should check?

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
You did some serious damage to burn that much oil in 50 miles. Sounds like piston, rings and cylinder may be toast. I hate to say it but a top end tear down is in your future.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To anyone who cares, I tore apart the engine to find my problem. I discovered that the piston rings were .014mm out of spec. So while I was in there I replaced seals, honed the cylinder and reassembled the engine. As of now, it runs fine with no more smoke.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Good to hear and thanks for the update

·
Administrator
35,825 Posts
Good job!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts