Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a 2002 AC 300 4x4. For some time my headlight fuse has been blowing - no particular time (turning, stopping, etc), just randomly. There's no movement I can pinpoint that causes it to blow. Put a new one in and it may last 30 minutes or a week. I pulled the front rack and plastic and checked the wiring underneath up to the main harness with the lights on and wiggled/moved all of the wires. Checked each socket for shorts. Checked resistance across each bulb - they were all the same: .6 ohms. All this fuse covers is the headlights and taillight. Voltage across the fuse holder is 11.67VDC (engine off). Voltage at battery is 11.62VDC (engine off). Kinda weird. The circuit pulls voltage from the battery but is also tied to the regulator rectifier, which leads me to my next thing. I pulled the rectifier off and tested it according to the specs in the AC Service Manual. My readings were WAY off from the specs except between the R and B/W wires. First is my rect/reg really bad? Can this be causing the headlight fuse to blow intermittently? Everything else on the ATV is fine and everything else works, no other issues whatsoever. Attached is an image of the AC specs versus mine. Thank you very much in advance for any help anyone can offer!!!

Attachments

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
11.67 means your battery is toast or has a load on it. What voltage do you get when it is running at idle and around 3000 rpm ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeez, the battery isn't even 9mos old yet! I will have to check the voltages in the morning and get back to you. Any idea what's with the readings I got on the rect/reg? Thank you for your reply!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I'm gonna venture out there and say the rect/reg is bad. Here is what I checked and what I read:
Stator resistance on each tab-to-tab: .4 ohms
Stator tabs each to GND: infinity on all
Stator voltage each tab (engine running): all 20.5-21VDC

Here's where the fun begins!
Battery voltage @ Idle: 13.6VDC, @ High RPM (I have no tach): 14VDC; after releasing throttle to idle, voltage dropped to 13.2VDC, high RPM to 13.5VDC, back to idle 12.6VDC, hi RPM to 12.8VDC.
While disconnecting the regulator to check voltage at the connector I touched the rect/reg and it was hot. Just for S&G I checked the temperature, engine running and it was 185F. Idk if they normally get that hot but it seems too hot to me. So anyway...
Regulator voltage @ Idle: jumping between 4.3-5.6VDC at the extremes but for the most part between 4.8-5.1VDC. That seems very low to me. I forgot to check it at high RPM before I killed the engine, so I restarted it and checked at high RPM. Then all I could muster was a measly 1.55VDC at its' highest and jumped between 1.48-1.5VDC for the most part.
My guess would be it manifests itself the hotter it gets.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check as far as what? I get battery voltage at the light wire (ylw) with lights on, and battery voltage at the brake wire (red) with the brake on. Both wires have been checked for continuity between them and shorts to GND. Everything checks out. The socket and wires are just like new in there, no corrosion present anywhere.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
The second lower set of voltages you hot with it running points to a bad VR rectifier.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. Thank you. I have ordered new one. Would the failing/intermittent VR cause the headlight fuse to blow? Aren't the first set of readings, at idle, low as well? I would think it would need higher voltage to supply lights, ACCs and also charging the battery. Also is it normal for them to get as hot as 185F?

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
They do all kinds of strange stuff. Get hot, some will only run when headlights are on.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
Did you get it fixed?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts