Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys it has been a while since I have posted, i guess you will have that when you are a college bound senior in high school, and there was 3' of snow on the ground!!!! Anyhow I recently took the powervalve covers off my 01 Zr 600 efi and found that the left side cable had about 6" of extra cable and the valve was stuck open so I called around and found a cable at my local dealer for about $40.00. Then today I wanted to investigate the problem more, and I took the motor? that pulls the cable open and shut unsure of what it is called, and found that the right cable end had broke off and the right side was disconnected therefore making me wonder if there is a certain way to rewind and reinstall so that the sled will be up and running again!! I also want to say that my pantera is an awsome awsome sled I have put 500-600 trouble free miles on it in the last 3-4 weeks and it is running awsome AC got that 600 right!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Did you do a parts look-up on www.alpha-sports.com? You may be able to see how they are wrapped in the parts diagram.

Hope this helps,
Z-Rider

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
Pretty straight forward

get both new cables

slide in groove of the servo motor

1st install valves and cable

2nd set cables length at 33mm

then slide end of cable onto the servo

Its the same way as on a bicycle

tip

Get the 03 and up firecat servo cover its clear so it will be easy to see the cables move or if they are disconnected

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
I might do a how to with pics on the 600 round valves

As I might be cleaning my valves soon as the season is basically toast

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input I will get a couple new cables next time I have the money for them and how did the sled run with out the cables workimng were the valves just stuck wide open and that was causing the lack of power?? I think that must be what hapened but it still idled fine and ran good just did not have the power the pantera does. 2004 pantera 600

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
When you start the carbed ZR600 VEV/APV the servo cycles

You will here the engine sound diferent for a sec or 2 as the valves open and close

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I am finnally getting around to putting the powervalve cables in and hopefully I will be back in business. unfortunetly I had to completly rebuild the recoil and once I got in to it found that the shaft had sheered and chewed all the inner workings with in the recoil, so then i rebuilt the recoil and it doesnt work. Then I had to rebuild it again and it now is working fine. As of now I have added a 3" riser from powermadd and I found a used hood for a resonable price. I hope to add a quiet canister muffler soon.

·
Registered
122 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2004 pantera 600 @ Jul 16 2007, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well I am finnally getting around to putting the powervalve cables in and hopefully I will be back in business. unfortunetly I had to completly rebuild the recoil and once I got in to it found that the shaft had sheered and chewed all the inner workings with in the recoil, so then i rebuilt the recoil and it doesnt work. Then I had to rebuild it again and it now is working fine. As of now I have added a 3" riser from powermadd and I found a used hood for a resonable price. I hope to add a quiet canister muffler soon.[/b]
You don't have the stock silencer installed?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I am 6' 2" so it seems like it will help although I have not even been able to ride the sled around the yard because of the valves. I am also wondering if anyone has a suggestion on what piant I should use to paint the hhod I want a deep, base coat clear coat black i painted the tunnel and I am going to take the front suspension off and repaint it with spray can paint. I work at an auto parts store and we mix specialty paint so any help would be great. 2004 pantera 600

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes the factory can is in but It may not be for to much longer. The sled still is running very poor I dont know if it is becasue the powervalves are incorrectly installed or what the case is but I am getting a little impatient I would like to run it in the grass drags coming up soon.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't think you can get anymore quiet then the stock can. Any can besides an MBRP is going hurt performance anyways.

AC KID

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well as of right now it is about as fast as my pushmower and so I unplugged the kill switch to see if it would get any better and it did not so I am going to pull the valves back out clean them in a heavy degreeser and then reasemble with some assembly lube and hope for the best I guess. If that does not work I am going to take it to the dealer and see what they can do with it?? I dont know whay else to do. 2004 pantera 600

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
Your valves will not affect speed in that way

they open around 6900-7100rpm

Do they cycle when you start the sled?

what are your RPMs,how is your clutching?

Engage should be 4000-4600 depending on your clutch set up

MAX rpm should be 8300rpm

·
Registered
309 Posts
your sled is efi they will not cycle until around 7000 rpms lift the rear and rev it up and see if the valves are working. before doing that you might want check your clutch to see if it is bowned up some how . this might sound dumb but is your parking brake on .check your track and make sure it spins around freely with the belt off and check your primary clutch to see if anythin is broke . does it idle fine and sound good until you engage it ? not sure about 01 600 but is there any codes flashing . may be a bad sensor. just a thought good luck

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
3500 is WAY TOO LOW

what do you have for weights/spring?

If you are grass dragging it you want your engagement to be around 5000 IMO

But 5000 will not be good for trail riding

1 - 17 of 17 Posts