Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old torsion springs and shocks were worn out. Bought new SPI shocks and the heavy duty torsion springs. Rear suspension was really stiff. Rode it friday night and wore in just a little bit and it was perfect. Rode like it was brand new. Rode 150 miles on saturday and slowly by the end of the day saturday the sled was falling down and not coming back up. Rode like crap. Bottoming out bad. Lift the sled up and it falls back down pretty far. The torsion springs are unwound so far they aren't even touching the blocks anymore at ride height. How can torsion springs go bad that quick? I went with the fat boy springs too

·
Registered
9,937 Posts
Don’t take this the wrong way but what do you weigh with all your gear and what setting on the adjuster block did you have it at? Seems excessive to wear out springs like that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Pics of skid? My guess is something isn’t put back right. I’ve never had a spring go so bad that it wouldn’t rest against the adjuster.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Never heard of springs doing that before, EVER!
only if the spring were improperly made and not heat treated properly which would be pretty rare. More likely something wasn't put back together properly (no offense)
Please post as many quality pics as you can of the skid so we can all have a look and throw our 2 cents in on it and help you get it sorted out while there's still snow on the ground.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok guys thanks I'll get a picture up tnite and see if you can see anything wrong. I have 2 identical sleds and i put it back together the same as thw other one but maybe missing something who knows. First time doing it. Thanks

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you have pics of the skid while it was out, that'd be best but we'll take what we can get.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's the only pictures i have of the skid out of the sled. That's how it currently is just without the torsion springs on it. I can get some later today in the sled but no difference. Here is the torsion spring not currently touching if i lift it back up to ride height. They're not bound up either just unwound already

Attachments

·
Registered
9,937 Posts
And the block is on the heaviest setting too! What was the part number on the springs you got?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Try and get a couple good side view pics that are good enough to see some details in where everything is mounted.
Seeing as the skid is in the sled...

It's possible you got a set of springs that were improperly heat treated, but the likelihood of both springs having the same issue and both from the same batch of springs, not sure if that's rare or not.

·
Registered
9,937 Posts
That left one looks worse than the right one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya it is. When I got them they were even clocked different. Like both points didn't come out to the same point I figured loaded up they were the same? But something is way wrong

·
Registered
9,937 Posts
The number you ordered is not what is called for for your sled. That’s not to say they are wrong or not correct. Country Cat has a spring chart noting thickness and the angle degree between short end and long end. How do these springs compare in that chart? Originals are 0704-888 and -889.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They seemed to fit funny. Had to load the **** out of them. 2 people 2 pry bars to get them on. Then only stayed loaded up for one night of riding. Next day started sagging and unwinding very badly.

What HD springs do you guys recommend on this sled? 01 ZL 600 EFI ESR

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm going to go with incorrect springs. Everything looks bolted in the correct spots.
Not everything seems yo be in the correct place to me.
This diagram is out of the 2002 service manual but should still be the same, and the diagram shows your shock link bars should be in one of the other holes than what you have them mounted in.
I'm not saying this is the culprit...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts