Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01 T-Cat with Black Magic trail pipes.Mild trail port. If I ride 35-50 mph my EGT,s go out of site. 1250 deg. and sometimes 1260. If I wack it wide open they drop to 950 or so.

Im thinking I need to change the needles to a richer midrange. Am I correct???

·
Registered
118 Posts
Your wide open #'s are way too rich. You want @1250 deg. on wide open pulls. Your midrange #'s are borderline, as this is where you are most of the time when trail riding, and as it starts to get colder those #'s are going to go up, then you will have problems. I would lower you clip on the needles one #, and re-check your egt #'s. Then, find a field where you can hold it in the midrange for as long as you can, and hit the killswitch while at speed and stop the sled and read your plugs. EGT's are a reference #, but your plugs tell you exactly what's happening. You can do the plug test before you even change the clip position on the needles, to see what your plugs look like running at 1250, and go from there.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know how to do plug readings, however yesturday the plugs were to new to read. They had know color at all.

Im going to pull them to see how they look now. Do the needles adjust just like the round slide carbs?

·
Registered
150 Posts
No clip you will have to shim. D&D sell a richer tube and needle to correct the lean condition, press in new tubes and change needle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The needle has 5 clip positions like the roundslides do. you need a small allen wrench to loosen the holddown bolt and then slide the holddown out of the way and grab the needle with a small set of pliers. I have 2 of these and i see egt temps over 1300 at part throttle with no burndowns in 5 years. look at your piston wash not your egts! when your piston wash is correct see what the egt says so you can reference it later.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After running the sled about 200 miles I have figured out the EGTs run about 1200 when cruising and if I run WFO they drop to 1150. So I think im in the ball park. I will do some plug readings this weekend to see what they look like.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Don't get hung up on the EGT readings until you know what your wash looks like. Check it at different RPM's like Flatline suggested, then when you know you're running where you want to be the EGT at that setting will tell you when you get too rick or lean from that point.

The EGT temp will vary from sled to sled and distance from the cylinder. You need to know how your sled runs before you get worried about the actual reading.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts