Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
5,963 Posts
If you could stop bringing up old threads that would be great.

280 is lean IMO

Huge bog at 4k to 5k is because its ment to engage at 5k which tells me that your clutching is off.

Defined at "Race shop" do they work with powersports cause if they burned through the Nickasal then your cylinders are toast

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey
I have been wrenching on 440's now for 5+ years and have these tips for everyone, not just 440 guys. (this is very basic stuff but important non the less especially on race sleds)

1. exhaust valve operation on the 98-2001 models, they but be clean and cycle properly to make you smile, if they don't it makes the sled feel doggy, and run like crap. (2002-2006 also, but they were better and needed less maintenance.)

2. Clean carbs, with stock settings, jetted with about 300-320 mains for 1500 ft of altitude. Good Premium fuel (critical) also add some sea-foam to the gas for contunuous cleaning and anti-moisture. If you use alcohol, use the isoprophyl only (red bottle).

3. Clutches are sensitive due to the small powerband on the 440 engine. Bushings, pins, spider rollers, etc, need to be inspected and maintained every 800-1000 miles due to high revving wear.

4. Secondary clutch needs to be clean and maintained regularily. Springs in both clutches should be checked for abnormal wear and replaced every 3000 miles or more if they are broken or sluggish.

5. Belt alignment is critical, as well as deflection. 440's like a tight belt.

5. 440's need to have the proper gearing to run strong, when in doubt gear low. Most of them run fine with 19-40 or 20-39 gears. The 2002 with the 10-tooth drivers is geared great stock at 20-44. Use a good quality chain lube and keep the chain tight to spec.

6. Suggestion: get the proper manual for your machine, they have a ton of information in them for your specific machine.

All 440's when maintained properly, and when using the proper fuel, will give you a smile on your face every time you go out, and can be driven on the trail with excellent reliability, it just takes more maintenance than other sleds. I have over 8000 miles on 440's from the last 8+ years. I know some of this stuff is redundant, but you can solve a ton of problems that are usually asked about here.

~Fast
I’ve got a few questions for you about the Z440 fan cooled sled. I’ve checked spark, compression, carbs jets needles,chokes, pistons and jugs look good, dens fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel filter, stator. But it still Boggs after riding and now won’t go past 4k with feathering throttle and will semi idle I’ve messed with the idle screws and for it to idle they are all the way in. But she Boggs a lot and when I take airbox off she runs a little better any ideas?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Hey

I’ve got a few questions for you about the Z440 fan cooled sled. I’ve checked spark, compression, carbs jets needles,chokes, pistons and jugs look good, dens fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel filter, stator. But it still Boggs after riding and now won’t go past 4k with feathering throttle and will semi idle I’ve messed with the idle screws and for it to idle they are all the way in. But she Boggs a lot and when I take airbox off she runs a little better any ideas?
Did you check for mouse nests in the airbox and exhaust silencer?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts