Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2000 zr 600 won't go over 65mph. i put a new belts on and it still does the same thing. the tack is at 8000rpm and bounces back and fourth like a rev limiter and it also back fires when i try staying in the throttle. i just rebuilt the top end w new pistons and rings. it has a clutch kit and engages at 5 grand which i though seemed high. i was thinking it was maybe something in the primary clutch. i bought it w a blown motor so i dont know what it ran like before i got it running. anyone have any ideas on what to do or what it could be.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
which way is it back firing?? through the carbs or exghaust?? Carbs is a sign of lean bad bad if its back firing out the exghaust its a rich problem you can live with that to a point. This sled a carb I take it??? I would clean the carbs if thats the case. First thing is to drain all the old gas out if it has old gas in it. Low octane will make it back fire on pre ignition its called. Then clean the carbs make sure the jetting is what the owners manual says it should be if not look it up on alpha sports or browns see what you should have for jets. If you bought it used you have know Idea whats in the sled. I would also take a compression test see if there within 5% of each other depends on the gauge but they should be over a 100 on each side. As far as the clutch kit goes yeah they do engage over 5000. What it should do is rev up to 8500 to about 60 mph it should drop to about 8350 cause most kits have a multi helix( they call it a shift) and pull back up to 8500 slowly as it gains speed when your topped out it should be at 8500 again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts