Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2000 zr 600 won't go over 65mph. i put a new belts on and it still does the same thing. the tack is at 8000rpm and bounces back and fourth like a rev limiter and it also back fires when i try staying in the throttle. i just rebuilt the top end w new pistons and rings. it has a clutch kit and engages at 5 grand which i though seemed high. i was thinking it was maybe something in the primary clutch. i bought it w a blown motor so i dont know what it ran like before i got it running. anyone have any ideas on what to do or what it could be.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Are you sure the belt is the correct one for it. What is the belt deflection measurement. Should be like 1 1/4". You can see the the center to center is correct if you have an alignment gauge. How much if any is the belt sticking out of the secondary?

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Can you tell us what your belt deflection is?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't know what the belt defection is? how do u do that? i was lookin at the secondary clutch and w/ a brand new belt its sitting down in the secondary. i tryed to get the secondary clutch off but the bolt twisted off and it is sezied on the jackshaft any ideas to get it off?

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
stator

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i don't think its the stator revs up fine runs good i think its in the clutchs what are some of the signs of the stator

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vortecman07 @ Dec 20 2009, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
the tack is at 8000rpm and bounces back and fourth like a rev limiter and it also back fires when i try staying in the throttle.[/b]
sleds don't backfire from clutching issues. sorry man, but it sounds deeper than that. start swapping parts from a known good engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it only seems to back fire when u stay in the throttle for awhile while it bounces back an fourth. im new to efi so i hav no clue

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Was the crank in good shape and trued up? If it got twisted at all from the previous incident it would throw timing off and that could cause it to backfire. Hopefully it's not something like that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya crank was in good shape. all the motor did was the pin cam out of the piston and one ring spun and caught exhaust port

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i put a different secondary on it and it helped w taking off but once it gets up on rpm it bounces back an fourth. could it be the primary clutch bad like it keeps shift back and fourth between primary and secondary and that is what is making it seem like a rev limiter?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the same prob with my 01 zr 500 wont get over 7000 rpms, 60mph and uses a ton of gas. I thought it might have something to do with the exhasust sensor, could this be?

·
Registered
31 Posts
i took my 2000 zl 600efi out for the first time owning its doing the some as yours plus i rode 100miles and used 3 quarts of oil when i take off froma dead stop it bogs real bad ill let off then punch it then itll take off good tell 60 then bog let off punch it again it'll jump to 70
bang your head

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i figured out my problem. the crank seals were out on my sled. replaced them and it runs like a champ now!! lots of trying things before i finially figured this out. thank for all the help on here guys!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
also the weights on my primary clutch were knuckled out. replaced those too. so weights in primary clutch and crank seals were out on my sled those were the problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts