Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put optional fat boy springs on sled last season. This past week in Michigan both springs got hung up / bound up inside the spring slider blocks (block that holds long arm of the torsion springs). Both springs bent near the coils on the long arms. Replaced both springs and slider blocks. Now one of the springs has already broken through the new slider block. Is this a result of the heavy springs or is something else going on? Opinions...

·
Registered
310 Posts
I put heavy spings in 01 zr800 never had the springs bend or break through slider block. Only issue I had was the blocks would angle out away from rails after a while, I guess from to much stress or weight on plastic block. I just replaced them every season to avoid any problems. I weighed 300 lbs at the time. You may have something else wrong. I'd check for other problems with the skid frame.

·
Registered
129 Posts
just asking, did you put them in with the alum spacer/mounting block the right way or backwards. I'd check that first with a schematic diagram.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Wow, you were lucky. I had the bolt that fastens the slider block to the axle break. :oops: The spring then wound up and jammed up the tunnel and track bringing me to a full halt in a couple of seconds, nearly throwing me over the handlebars! bang your head I was told by several members that I should not attempt to use after-market springs, so I ordered new springs from AC (Country Cat) earlier this week. Will be back in Michigan to install them next weekend. Perhaps you should go back to stock springs? Doesn't sound very glamorous, but perhaps it's a place to start. I think new AC springs set me back around $45. Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't picture it - sled not in front of me right now...I think the plastic spring slider mounts directly to the slide rail. The spring slider may have a metal sleeve were the mounting bolt goes through. The plastic hole (unlined) that the long spring arm passes through is what keeps getting oblonged to the point that the spring either breaks out or the spring end gets wedged inside the spring slide causing the springs to bend. Will send pics if I get the chance....I also ordered some billet aluminium spring slides to hopefully cure the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would just sell that damn snowpussy and get yourself a REV already!!!!!

:D

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I put some lube to make the spring slide easier, and so the plastic won't wear out so quick. Sounds like your problem is a little more serious than that tho.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Couple of points to discuss here...First, you'll have to excuse JSLAUB as he is mentally challenged if you know what I mean (he is my brother and he is a little slow but he lives closer to snow than I do so I have to put up with him). Secondly, the issue I was having was caused by the Arctic Cat heavy duty springs I installed. If you held them up next to the original skinny boy springs they looked to be the same length. This was last winter so I can't remember exactly what the situation was, but the springs were either very slightly longer or shorter than the originals. They were either longer, moving forward under compression and hitting something else in the skidframe or were shorter binding up in the spring slider block. In any case, the remedy was to move the spring slider blocks back 1 hole in the slide rails and cut the excess spring arm ends off, leaving enough so as not to bind inside the spring blocks or hit anything under suspension compression.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts