Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am doing a light freshen up / restoration on the ‘72 Cheetah 440 that my dad bought new. I remember within a year of him buying it, he got a call from the dealer it came from telling him there was a bulletin from Arctic Cat saying there was a problem with the voltage regulators, and the answer was to just unplug it. This regulator is a single wire unit, and has been unplugged since ‘73 or so. Does anyone know about this ? I’m wondering what the actual problem was back in the day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that is correct, the original voltage regulator is still mounted in the factory location but has been unplugged since 1973. I rode this snowmobile all my life, ( at night also ) and it still has all its original working bulbs. It’s made it roughly 49 years running with no regulator.
My question is, has anyone else heard of this notification from Arctic Cat ? I’m wondering if it was a defect in the original regulator, or a problem with the charging system itself ?

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
We had a '72 Puma 399, and never had an issue. I never heard of the 440's having a problem. All engine's need a regulator, so if there was something special about the 440, I never heard of it. I'll be interested if someone else knows of this, and could shed some light on it. Maybe some sort of internal regulator built in??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We had a '72 Puma 399, and never had an issue. I never heard of the 440's having a problem. All engine's need a regulator, so if there was something special about the 440, I never heard of it. I'll be interested if someone else knows of this, and could shed some light on it. Maybe some sort of internal regulator built in??
Yes, it always seemed strange to me. I recently asked my brother if he remembered anything, and he said all he remembers is the dealer contacted our dad and said to unplug the regulator. I just had the flywheel off to do the points and condensers, and there is no internal regulator. I’m going to get a new regulator and plug it back in. I was just hoping someone could shed some light on why the dealer said to unplug it.
Thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
657 Posts
My father was a Cat dealer back then, and I remember the bulletin from them to unplug the regulator. The problem was it would cause the headlight to just randomly go dim, then come back on. I had personal experience with that, and it was pretty scary! Apparently the lighting coil was a low enough wattage output that the lights drew enough power to more or less regulate itself. I do remember that if the headlight blew out it usually blew out all the tail lights too. You could wire in a modern regulator, in fact I would recommend it. I'd use one of the common little two-wire square type. Connect one side to the yellow wire from the main harness and the other to ground someplace on the engine and you should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
My father was a Cat dealer back then, and I remember the bulletin from them to unplug the regulator. The problem was it would cause the headlight to just randomly go dim, then come back on. I had personal experience with that, and it was pretty scary! Apparently the lighting coil was a low enough wattage output that the lights drew enough power to more or less regulate itself. I do remember that if the headlight blew out it usually blew out all the tail lights too. You could wire in a modern regulator, in fact I would recommend it. I'd use one of the common little two-wire square type. Connect one side to the yellow wire from the main harness and the other to ground someplace on the engine and you should be good to go.
So was that specific to just the 440's??

·
Registered
657 Posts
The best I can remember it was all the '72 Cats. It seems like they all originally came with the same regulator. This was 50 years ago and I was 14 years old at the time, so it's a bit hazy! LOL!

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
The best I can remember it was all the '72 Cats. It seems like they all originally came with the same regulator. This was 50 years ago and I was 14 years old at the time, so it's a bit hazy! LOL!
Same age as me. My Dad's cousin had an Arctic cat dealership also. We had a '72 Puma 399, and other family members had some '72 cats and I never heard of it till now. Lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts