Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay i’ve been fighting this for months now, dealer can’t figure it out, i’m sorta stumped.

so, atv will start right up as it should. I can drive around no power loss, and after roughly 20 min (varies!) as I let go of the throttle, it spits sputters then dies. Won’t restart. Wait an hour, and then the cycle restarts.

yes fuel pump is running, i took it apart, changed the strainer and put fresh gas.

took apart the injector, seemed fine squirts gas as it should.

The battery has been load checked and was good, still tried another one for fun with same results

no check engine lights / codes

compression is ok, spark plug is a bit white.
Quad is 100% stock excluding tires.

dealership ran tests said it may need a fuel pump or an injector can’t confirm. That’s a whole lot of money for a maybe.

I hope anybody has an idea before I go dumping money.Atv has 4300 KM.

excuse the english please i am french

·
Administrator
42,248 Posts
Check the fuel pressure with a gauge , and get a new dealer.

Reactions: ziemann

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the fuel pressure with a gauge , and get a new dealer.
Yes I have ordered a gauge, and no other dealer remotely close to me. I tried today for fun once it died,I sprayed starting fluid down the intake and immediately came back to life like nothing happened and the cycle continued.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Plugged Fuel tank vent? If it died and you could get it to fire immediately after it died on ether (starting fluid). Then I wouldn’t suspect an ignition issue, but a fuel related issue. Weak fuel pump could be an issue, but you’d have to put it on a gauge to see that.

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
1,246 Posts
Yes I have ordered a gauge, and no other dealer remotely close to me. I tried today for fun once it died,I sprayed starting fluid down the intake and immediately came back to life like nothing happened and the cycle continued.
I would suspect the fuel pump has gone bad if it did this. Should be constant 43psi and a smooth whirring sound from the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts