Both coils bad? - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-09-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

ATV: Girlfriend's 2007 500 4WD Auto
Both coils bad?

Hey guys, I bought a '99 ZRT 600 last year for the wife and resurrected it from the dead. Got everything working perfectly, took it out on it's main voyage last winter, ran great, pulled like a son of a gun Saturday, couldn't get it started Sunday morning due to no spark. Well, started testing components last weekend, and both coils ohmd out bad. According to the manual chart I found, it called for ~6400-9400 ohms between plug wires on the double coil, and the same between the plug wire and positive spade connector on the single. If these are the correct figures, somehow both are bad, because I tested, retested, and retested again with my meter, and got around 1900 on the double, and 2100 on the single. I'm going to check them with another meter next time I'm up north, but is this common? is it a fluke? and /or what would cause both coils to go out at exactly the same time? both coils were isolated from the rest of the sled when I tested them. Any info and opinions are greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-09-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

And if you're wondering, I double checked with the electricians at work that I was reading my meter right... lol Never had an issue before, but hey, stupider things have happened
post #3 of 6 Old 07-10-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

So long story short, coils are fine. Used a known accurate meter, and all is well. Going to replace anyway though, since some of the epoxy is cracking, the poles are really rusty, and so on. Now onto the next thing. Is it possible to replace the stator with the motor still in the sled? I really don't want to pull it all the way back out, but I guess if I have to I will...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-10-2019, 11:22 PM

Sled: 2000 thundercat 1996 ZRT 800 AGLT/136"
10-11 Mileage: 1249
09-10 Mileage: 1200
07-08 Mileage: 650 - 2 thaws
06-07 Mileage: 1100
ATV: Arctic Cat 500/ SuzukiQuadzilla 500-sold
Yes, you should be able to pull stator without taking the engine out. First check the ohm readings at room temp. to see if its bad. It may also be a trigger pick up for the flywheel too if your having problems. You really haven't said what is up except for the fact the coils were bad. Is it sparking now and running?

Life is not a bowl of cherries, it's more like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today can burn your ass tomorrow !!!

https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/pinn...to-96-zrt.html
Crossfire skid into a 96 ZRT

https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/z-zl...t=zrt+800+aglt
ZRT 800 AGLT
post #5 of 6 Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

oh, lol my bad. no , it still isn't running. I had taken it out for it's first ride after rebuilding everything. first day ran great, second day no spark. the first day it had a mid range bog, and towards the end of the day, you could smell some sort of hot electrical component. drove it to where I parked it that night, next morning, no spark. that was in January. I just started diagnostic last weekend. Tested the coils again last night, with a better meter, and one that I know is accurate, and they tested fine once I pulled my head out of my butt and realized my math was wrong the first time. Going to replace them anyway, because they are super crusty, and the epoxy is starting to crack up, but I'm going to test the stator next time I'm up north, where the sled is, and see if that's the culprit. I'm gad I don't have to remove that motor again, not a fan
post #6 of 6 Unread Today, 07:26 AM

Sled: 2000 thundercat 1996 ZRT 800 AGLT/136"
10-11 Mileage: 1249
09-10 Mileage: 1200
07-08 Mileage: 650 - 2 thaws
06-07 Mileage: 1100
ATV: Arctic Cat 500/ SuzukiQuadzilla 500-sold
Ya, ohm the stator and pick up coil as stated then post your findings. Not saying this is your trouble but I buy and re sell sleds. I have a 99 zrt 600 here that had no spark and it was the ground wire by the muffler from muffler bracket to chassis. Be sure the cdi ground wire is making good ground too.

Life is not a bowl of cherries, it's more like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today can burn your ass tomorrow !!!

https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/pinn...to-96-zrt.html
Crossfire skid into a 96 ZRT

https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/z-zl...t=zrt+800+aglt
ZRT 800 AGLT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > Snowmobiles > Arctic Cat Snowmobiles > Z/ZL/ZR/ZRT/Tcat/EXT/jag/cougar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode