One plug lean and engine cutting out mid throttle - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TRX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-22-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
TRX

One plug lean and engine cutting out mid throttle

2001 Mountain Cat 800 with carbs.....not EFI.

Rode the sled last weekend and it ran great. Towards the end of the day I was very low on fuel (Fumes) and had to use Lucas 2-stroke oil because that was all I had on hand (What I use in the Chainsaw), but it still ran great for the last hour or so of riding. Before

Took the sled out yesterday and filled it up with new fuel and AC synthetic oil. Started no problem. Let it warm up and took off. It immediately had a bog mid-throttle. Turned it off and checked plugs. The clutch side plug was dry (I run 40:1 so the plugs always have a wet look to them) and a lighter color than the other plug.

Started back up and took off and ran it hard (If it's going to burn a hole in the piston, I prefer doing it close to the truck). After awhile the bog went away, then came back but not as bad as before. I ride alone in the backcountry so decided to load up and come home (I'm getting old and don't find it fun anymore to be stranded in the middle of nowhere).

Any ideas where to start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-22-2019, 11:23 PM

Sled: 2000 thundercat 1996 ZRT 800 AGLT/136"
10-11 Mileage: 1249
09-10 Mileage: 1200
07-08 Mileage: 650 - 2 thaws
06-07 Mileage: 1100
ATV: Arctic Cat 500/ SuzukiQuadzilla 500-sold
Not saying this is your problem for sure, and don't know if you run ethanol or not but fish out the fuel line in the tank and blow in the end. If air passes thru it, it has a hole in the line from ethanol. You may also have picked up some water running it that low. I use stuff called "Mechanic in a bottle" and will take water out right away. Best stuff I have ever used. Try the simple stuff first I guess.

Watch Videos Online | Ethanol and Other Fuel Problems ELIMINATED | Veoh.com

Life is not a bowl of cherries, it's more like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today can burn your ass tomorrow !!!

https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/pinn...to-96-zrt.html
Crossfire skid into a 96 ZRT

https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/z-zl...t=zrt+800+aglt
ZRT 800 AGLT
The Following User Says Thank You to tcat446 For This Useful Post:
TRX (05-23-2019)
post #3 of 7 Old 05-22-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
TRX

Hi TCAT! I was hoping you would reply since you are the MC800 guru.

I have been thinking of head gasket leak (no loss of fluid, nor any bubbles in coolant reservoir), leak in the carb boots, bad CDI, bad regulator, etc etc etc, but never thought about water in the tank (I don't use ethanol). Now that you mention it, that would explain the symptoms perfectly.

Would Seafoam work? I always keep a few bottles on hand so if it works, that would be better than waiting for UPS to deliver.

Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-23-2019, 07:35 AM

Sled: 2000 thundercat 1996 ZRT 800 AGLT/136"
10-11 Mileage: 1249
09-10 Mileage: 1200
07-08 Mileage: 650 - 2 thaws
06-07 Mileage: 1100
ATV: Arctic Cat 500/ SuzukiQuadzilla 500-sold
Seafoam will allow the water to be burned up. Try it and see if it helps. It's possible that you may have junk in the carbs too if you don't have an inline filter.

Life is not a bowl of cherries, it's more like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today can burn your ass tomorrow !!!

https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/pinn...to-96-zrt.html
Crossfire skid into a 96 ZRT

https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/z-zl...t=zrt+800+aglt
ZRT 800 AGLT
The Following User Says Thank You to tcat446 For This Useful Post:
TRX (05-23-2019)
post #5 of 7 Old 05-23-2019, 07:57 AM

Sled: '16 ZR6 El Tigre
Just to be clear......ethanol helps with water, allowing it to mix with the fuel. This is why when you use non eth fuel you should add isopropyl alcohol to stop water from collecting in the tank.

The ONLY time ethanol has a negative effect is when it sits for long periods as its eats rubber etc as mentioned earlier.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to JLR82 For This Useful Post:
TRX (05-23-2019)
post #6 of 7 Old 05-23-2019, 12:26 PM
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Garage
Sled: 2015 ZR 8000 El Tigre' '16 ZR 6000 LXR
ATV: 2014 1000XT & 2017 700XT Camo
A 2001 with all original fuel lines is the first place I would look. Replace them all. Inside the tank is much easier than you think. it threads out from the front of the tank and once the airbox is removed, its a piece of cake. Replace the pulse line as well from the crank to the fuel pump. If you have those drain tubes under each bowl, its time for those too. Try to store the machine with non ethanol gas.

“How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?”

I want to share something with you: The three little sentences that will get you through life. Number 1: Cover for me. Number 2: Oh, good idea, Boss! Number 3: It was like that when I got here.

Up the creek without a saddle. The straw that broke the camel's neck.. Archie Bunker
The Following User Says Thank You to tiggershark For This Useful Post:
TRX (05-23-2019)
post #7 of 7 Old 05-23-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
TRX

UPDATE: Fuel lines were all replaced last year, so I was confident they are not the problem. So, I poured a half can of Seafoam into the tank, pulled airbox off, disconnected fuel line, and let it drain for a minute or so to clear the line. Put everything back together and started. Let it warmup for a few minutes then applied throttle.

She purrrs now like a kitty now...............and the plug looks good.

Thank you for the help everyone! That was much easier than I anticipated. We just got a few feet of snow so I'm going riding this weekend. I love this global warming stuff!
tcat446 likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > Snowmobiles > Arctic Cat Snowmobiles > Z/ZL/ZR/ZRT/Tcat/EXT/jag/cougar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in