Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

It's happening again, to me now!

9K views 43 replies 8 participants last post by  auburn6887 
#1 ·
Well, Jim, I stole part of your title. lol. I found this zrt 600 and picked it up for cheap, but figured what the heck, I have 90% of all the parts in the shop needed and it will give me a chance to clear more parts out. Not a bad little sled. Was told it has reverse issue. Later once home found out it has some reverse/driveshaft issues. Need some TLC though. It's almost summer and not much going on here.

I need to support my habits with my Hooper, so I sent it to a member on here to get some engine mods done. Should be done in another week. Can't wait. lol!

Here are some pics of the zrt. Not sure how far I will go into this and I am already going to swap the seat with my other zrt 600 so,.....

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
And a few more.

Attachments

#3 ·
Well, after taking things apart tonight I found this. Ya think you may have possibly noticed something wrong with a noise or vibration??? Hmmmmm. Maybe. Look at the end of the drive shaft. No wonder the track was loose, it wasn't even in the bearing on the left side of the sled. lol.
Notice the lower bearing is jammed sideways from the shaft being ran at an angle and bent the triangular bearing plate. Other side looks good so far. Looks like another driveshaft and some bearings and that's going back together. Then, I will have to mess with reverse. Need a idler gear, chain bracket, adjustment wheel, upper gear, nut and washer and another cover,....hopefully, that's it. lol.

Attachments

#5 ·
That's what the owner was going to do at one point. I have most of the parts so I will keep reverse on it. It will bring more for resale and I can get ride of some parts and put them to good use.

#8 ·
Yes.
I popped it twice this year. :Bangin: Didn't realize it had a timing key in it and needed more than 90-91 octane. It has the 93 ignition on it and was turning 9100 rpms. (My bad) The 93 keeps advancing to over 10,000. Was trying to make a comparison against my 2000 T-cat and the Hooper switching from 38mm to 44mm carbs. I can tell you this, About 8 sled lengths (more) in 1000' with the 44's before popping it again. Gonna fix all that now. Pray for snow please!!!

Attachments

#10 ·
Well reverse and 2 new bearings are in with a good used drive shaft. Waiting on a few parts to finish then onto a good clean and paint touch up.

Attachments

#14 ·
Making progress, slow but sure. Cleaned but not shined up yet. Checked ring end gap. Put a .025 feeler in ring gap in the cylinder and could of slide in 3 more. Time for new rings I guess. lol.
Clutches cleaned and gone over with new parts were needed. Next is the exhaust till more parts come. Waiting on water pump seals. Could of sworn I had them, but guess not.

Attachments

#15 ·
Notice the dirt that got down into the base after beating the cylinders off with a rubber mallet like a red headed step child. Need to clean that some how. Maybe upside down on saw horses and spray gas/oil mixture.

#17 ·
Good work so far!!

Didn't think I was going to have a big project this summer. However, the Ext 600 I bought last year has somewhat of a knock in the mag cylinder. Guess I will have to take a look see.

#18 ·
Sounds like a bad rod bearing or broken piston skirt.
I discovered they had 38mm carbs on this zrt with 330 mains. Stock is 370. That's why the pistons are black.

#24 ·
I went and checked every single thing in the carbs. I had to be sure. They switched everything from the 36 to the 38's. They did not account for the extra air at wide open throttle. I have since went to 370's.
Yes, they actually went leaner for the 36mm's with the 330's, then put them into the 38's and made it worse yet. As I said, 370's were stock on these 36's.

#25 ·
Engine went in today. All hooked up and after cleaning ground wires now has spark. Need to blast and paint exhaust system to fire it up. Ended up putting new rings and one piston in it.

Ended up fiberglassing the hood where it was cracked. Painted that on the inside.

Attachments

#27 ·
Hood and clutches on. Had to fix 2 cracks towards the hinge area. Cleaned and shinned the engine compartment and put new hyfax on. I think they were shot. Not really sure though. Decided to replace anyway. Oh well.
Got the flat black spray paint off the running boards with oven cleaner and acetone. Cleaned the windshield. Couldn't even see through it! Been outside a long long time. Seat came clean too. Debating if I want to do the A arms. Hmmmm.

Attachments

#33 ·
Hood and clutches on. Had to fix 2 cracks towards the hinge area. Cleaned and shinned the engine compartment and put new hyfax on. I think they were shot. Not really sure though. Decided to replace anyway. Oh well.
Got the flat black spray paint off the running boards with oven cleaner and acetone. Cleaned the windshield. Couldn't even see through it! Been outside a long long time. Seat came clean too. Debating if I want to do the A arms. Hmmmm.
Next time, use open end of a 12mm wrench, if it’s really close to being able to insert the fax into opening, it’s time.

#28 ·
Those slides still had plenty of life left!! By the looks of those, how many suspension pieces were rusted together??

Do you have any pics of the windshield? What did you use on it?

#29 ·
I decided not to do up the suspension. Most bolts are froze and don't feel like replacing more items so painting will not happen. I did however replace the hyfax, two wheels, and the spring sliders.
I use Meguiar's on my cars with great results so I use them on the sleds as well. The way I do the windshields is use the motorcycle wax first. This has more abrasive to it than the regular carnuba wax. I get the crud off with that, (removes over spray too) then go over it with carnuba wax to take more scratches out. Works really well.
As for Armour All, it used to be good, but like everything else they changed it and I now use the Meguiar's supreme shine which is superior to the old Armour All. Walmart has it. After a short time the result look the same and no oil residue after using it.

Attachments

#30 ·
Looking good, its amazing how on my last three sleds there is always over spray from paint on everything, hood , windshield and even in the engine Bay Area. How do you get small stuff marks of a chrome windshield?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk FastCat123$&.6doozr9000

#31 ·
Best anyone can do is keep polishing. Sometimes you can't get them off.

#32 ·
Ya, these chrome windshields are tricky, can’t really buff them or you will put scratches in them, I have a couple of light buff marks in it and can’t get them out. But on anther note looks like your project is coming Along nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk FastCat123$&.6doozr9000

#34 ·
If no wrench is available, see the molded line at arrows end, replace if getting anywhere within 1/16” to 3/32” of that line.

If you wait until it’s near (or at) that line above that one, chances are you’ll possibly need new rail(s)

Attachments

#36 ·
Well, making progress, just slow is all. Now waiting on a chain case cover. Could not find a reverse case cover for a 99 that I would be willing to pay for. They are getting pricey. So,...I took off reverse and am now waiting for the standard cover to get here. Some before and after pics. Will get more when its done and outside.

Attachments