Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1000 Cylinder Differences 1998 to 2001 Cylinders??

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  madmikeracing 
#1 ·
Been working on Tcat 1998, Originally
was first one Ive ever taken all apart. I also decided to just take engine completely apart after all the water pump horror stories. I wondered if the Ports from Factory are the same on all the 1000 cylinders? Thanx

#4 ·
No supercession, same cylinders used from 1998 through 2002.

Major differences in 1999- on was the timing mapped into the CDI’s. Also the full exhaust sustem (98 was 3 into 3 exiting as 3 individual ports at cans bottom), 1999-on was 3 into 3, exiting as one large dump port at cans bottom)

Roundslides (1998) produce pure raw HP numbers versus flatracks. Flatracks do offer better low and mid range throttle response.

Attachments

#10 ·
Thanx!

For all the Replies. I guess every ones drilling holes in they're cases now? I just wondered about the 1998 Tcat 1000 cylinders ,I was before thinking perhaps the cylinder porting was a little better than the Factory Work. Guess its all in the exhaust and cdi that makes the 1998 the stock fastest. It cant be a LOT faster than other years ? Thats stock for stock? I wanted to own one that was bone stock but..looks like that wont be happening. Modified ones are much more Fun to ride. Thanx

#12 ·
For all the Replies. I guess every ones drilling holes in they're cases now? I just wondered about the 1998 Tcat 1000 cylinders ,I was before thinking perhaps the cylinder porting was a little better than the Factory Work. Guess its all in the exhaust and cdi that makes the 1998 the stock fastest. It cant be a LOT faster than other years ? Thats stock for stock? I wanted to own one that was bone stock but..looks like that wont be happening. Modified ones are much more Fun to ride. Thanx
Put 2 equally prepped side by side (1) 1998, and (1) other MY...

Equal traction, clutched to proper rpms/proper jetting/blah-blah-blah, etc, etc, etc, etc... the 1998 will crush the later models. It was a beast.

Same for first year ZRT600’s and 800’s versus following MY’s. When Cat released them, they’d done their homework. It was following those initial releases (when fine tuning ended up costing them a few more $$ than they really liked), and customers were drooling to buy following MY’s models, they “softened” things up just a touch, often to the disappointment of buyers who were expecting same perf as first year releases.

I’ve noted this in a lot of their performance models over the years (short of the 440/580/700 ZR1 chassis’d Sleds during their time)

#15 ·
93 and 98 CDI’s don’t interchange.

To equate a 1998, you’ll need CDI, carbs/airbox, ex’s system from expansion chambers outwards. And obviously, the matching clutching.

1998-on went with oil being injected into the fuel pump (not into intakes), and that has always raised some controversy as to how that can (and sometimes does) affect jetting (and lubing under certain running conditions) versus full time into the intakes.

Just sayin’, they changed several items from 1998 to 1999

#17 ·
My 98 T-cat has the oil pump feeding the fuel pump. I noticed that right away and thought it was a pretty cool way to mix in the oil and pre-mix absolutely affects the jetting by physics, for every molecule of space the oil takes up passing through the jet is one less molecule for the fuel.

#16 ·
One thing to add here is that the 98 stock pipes are very hard to beat in HP. They are claimed to be the best for a 1000. The gain is very marginal with aftermarket pipes. Only thing you will gain with them over stock is the loss of weight on the front end of the sled.
Between the ignition and pipes they ran very good. The 93 had the better timing though. If you put the 93 on any sled no matter how you do it with different parts it will run stronger. The gains are small, and that's why some just go with an offset key in the flywheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.