700 EFI 16% gear reduction - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
Utility Performance / Technical info Utility ATV Performance and Technical Discussions about specific mods, engine upgrades!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-20-2007, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

ATV: AC 700EFI LE
2007 Mileage: 27 and Broke!
2006 Mileage: 300
Hello all, I am Engie on highlifter. Anyway, I thought I would inform all of progress on this. Basically, you can replace the last two gears leading into the secondary transmission with Eiger Gears and accomplish a 16% gear reduction. This requires light machining of the eiger gears. Basically, you have to turn .100" off the side of the small gear and .040 off the INSIDE of the large gear to allow it to be pressed onto the shaft. This shaft is an interference fit, so you will need to cool the shaft extensively before attempting the press. Final product = 16% gear reduction. Bike should think my 29.5s are 26s now!!!

I guess maybe that makes me the "official" parts tester for the 700s???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gear_Reduction.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	128776  

AC700EFI LE
BBK, Cams, Port/polish, clutchwork, snorkling, bored throttlebody, Muzzy exhaust, clutch kit, VDI(waiting), TAKING SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO ABOUT GETTING ENOUGH FUEL!
16% tranny gear reduction, 11% reduction 4.0 diffs
29.5 laws, waiting on 31s
cryoed drivetrain/secondary drive
Suspension is next!

[url=http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f211/jwol316/]http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f211/jwol316/[/url
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-20-2007, 05:52 AM

ATV: 2004 650 V-Twin
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jwol @ Apr 20 2007, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Hello all, I am Engie on highlifter. Anyway, I thought I would inform all of progress on this. Basically, you can replace the last two gears leading into the secondary transmission with Eiger Gears and accomplish a 16% gear reduction. This requires light machining of the eiger gears. Basically, you have to turn .100" off the side of the small gear and .040 off the INSIDE of the large gear to allow it to be pressed onto the shaft. This shaft is an interference fit, so you will need to cool the shaft extensively before attempting the press. Final product = 16% gear reduction. Bike should think my 29.5s are 26s now!!!

I guess maybe that makes me the "official" parts tester for the 700s???[/b]

Let us know how the axles hold up

Walt</span>

<span style="color:#0000FF"> 2004
650 V-2
Snorkled
Dial-A-Jets
DG exhaust
27" Mudlites
Dynatek CDI
Sway Bar Kit
Comet Clutch with 56.69 gram cam arms (HE-6) & White Dalton primary spring

post #3 of 14 Old 04-20-2007, 06:22 AM

ATV: 2007 700 EFI
How do you get the 11% diff reduction?? I have a 700 and would be interested in running larger tires if I could compensate for them to make the bike feel stock again........ thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-20-2007, 07:33 AM
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat
Sled: 04 F7 efi sp -SOLD-
ATV: 07 700 EFI ~ 01 400M ACT
Nice post, thanks for the info!

Be sure to keep us up to date on your progress, and how good she runs when your done. You will probably have the most bad ass 700 out there... anywhere!
post #5 of 14 Old 04-20-2007, 08:09 AM

Garage
Sled: 1998 Cougar 550
06-07 Mileage: 100
ATV: 2007 Arctic Cat 700 EFI
2007 Mileage: 2200
just curious what your top speed will be with that 16% gear reduction? Gonna suffer i suppose.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-20-2007, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

modn, I am fully expecting the bike to really, really munch axles with this setup...IMO, as long as breakage stays in the axles and not in my diffs or lower(secondary) tranny like I already broke once, I will be happy.

dodgethis, what size tires are you thinking about running? The 4.0 ring and pinion will drop straight into the 700 differentials(I'm putting mine in today/tomorrow). You can also find complete 4.0 differentials pretty cheap if you talk to the right people but I also found out that the rear DIFF on the 700s is reverse rotation from all the other Cats, so you have to switch the gears over in it...
Just the 4.0s will prettymuch give you back your stock gearing with 28s(and thus almost all your stock power)

Mncatatac, I will do!! Hopefully a vid or 2 really giving the BruteForce and Bomb guys a fit in the 300'!

ACSchuey, The way I figure it is this. 29.5s mess up gearing 18% from stock. I am getting 16% of that back, so in theory with just that one mod, I should have all of my "stock" topend plus a little more. The problem with "mine" is that I am stacking gearing, so my total reduction will be 27%. It's going to be rediculously low with 29.5s, but with 31s it will only be 3% low and accounting for the additional rotating mass, I should have my entire stock power, before you figure in my power mods!
Anyway, to really answer your question, my primary clutch has been machined extensively for topend and bottomend power(half mooned the travelpath so the rollers can extend farther out). I'm guessing this mod gave me 5mph more on the topend. Also, with the VDI on mine, I will be raising the revlimiter at least another 1k rpms because of my heads/fuel delivery/snorkles. SO how fast do I really expect to go? I think 55mph on 29.5s is a reasonable estimate...

AC700EFI LE
BBK, Cams, Port/polish, clutchwork, snorkling, bored throttlebody, Muzzy exhaust, clutch kit, VDI(waiting), TAKING SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO ABOUT GETTING ENOUGH FUEL!
Suspension is next!

[url=http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f211/jwol316/]http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f211/jwol316/[/url
post #7 of 14 Old 04-20-2007, 10:28 AM

very interesting......

what would the best way be to go about putting 4.0's in my new 700?? Do I have to set up the gears like a car rear?? What do you mean I have to flip them? I assume this means that the ring gear is on the opposite side of the pinion as all other models? I know in automotive apps. that reverse rotation gears are acutally different than standard gears. Could I swap in a complete unit??? This is all very new to me please explain. Thanks for all the info that nobody else has!!!
post #8 of 14 Old 04-20-2007, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dodgethis12 @ Apr 20 2007, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
very interesting......

what would the best way be to go about putting 4.0's in my new 700?? Do I have to set up the gears like a car rear?? What do you mean I have to flip them? I assume this means that the ring gear is on the opposite side of the pinion as all other models? I know in automotive apps. that reverse rotation gears are acutally different than standard gears. Could I swap in a complete unit??? This is all very new to me please explain. Thanks for all the info that nobody else has!!! [/b]
I'll actually have alot more info after I finish etting mine done. Your correct on the ring gear being on the other side though! It's a pretty simple shim job to swap them over...similar to automotive but easier. You can't swap a complete diff assembly because all the other cat assemblies are normal rotation...On the front you can just swap out diffs(what i'm going to do) but on the rear you have to swap the r/p.

As far as the reverse rotation gears being different, I am not really sure! I just know it has been done several times with great success...

AC700EFI LE
Suspension is next!

post #9 of 14 Old 04-20-2007, 11:33 AM

wheres the cheapest place to get an assembly and gears for the rear?? Sounds like something Im definately interested in. The 4.0 rear with a VDI box and some 28's would be just right!
post #10 of 14 Old 04-20-2007, 07:27 PM

ATV: 05 650 V2
Dodge this if you want 4.0s you have to have the 4.0 all the way around not just at the back. BTW i dont think the VDI has come out yet....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > ATV's > Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting > Utility Performance / Technical info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode