2009 550 H1 - Changing Front U Joint - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting Place your Utility ATV Repair and Maintenance questions/thoughts here... *not performance*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-10-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

2009 550 H1 - Changing Front U Joint

I am in the process of changing the front U-Joint. I hammered it apart in place using an air hammer. In the process of doing this, a small metallic disk and spring fell to the ground. It came from inside the front yoke (not the yoke on the engine, but the opposite one). I think it is used to seal the shaft so fluid doesn't travel up it. I've attached a picture. That yoke is splined and can slide on a splined shaft. It's not what a parts diagram for this quad shows.

Has anyone else had this fall out? Do you have suggestions on how to get it to stay in place? Perhaps silicone it in place and try and "stake it" with chisel so it sits there? Its a terribly awkward place to work as this is still all in the ATV. I can't imagine why it would need the spring. The spring is working against me.

I assume the differential has seals, so the only purpose of this disk would be to keep the splines free of crud (correct)?

Thank you in advance for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1102.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	348241  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-11-2019, 09:01 AM
Team ArcticChat
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat
Garage
Just slide the boot back and pop the yoke off and put the parts back into the yoke... Its used to hold tension on the yoke to help keep things tight and no vibrations and keep crap out of the end of the yoke.

Nothing better than riding with friends and family
post #3 of 6 Old 07-11-2019, 06:31 PM

Same thing happened to me. I was surprised to see a spring fall out of there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Hndyman55 For This Useful Post:
doorfx (07-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-13-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. Just a correction to my original post - arctic cat parts manual is accurate. I was looking at it wrong. Will see what I can do.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-13-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

I was sure puzzled when a spring came out too. It's been a number of years since I took a universal joint apart and I was quite certain there were no springs, and then I started wondering if I could have forgot. I decided that I wouldn't have forgot that. I figured it out when I saw the small metal disk on the ground and tried to figure out where that came from.

I did manage to pull the yoke off as per Zrock. I put sleeve retainer around the small metal disk and tapped it back into place. I let it sit for an hour, and then I put it and the spring back on. It never popped out again despite some hammering when putting the new universal cross/cups into the quad. Hopefully it stays in place.

I got the universal joint together using a C clamp. What a pain! Before starting, I took the old cups and pressed them through the yokes first to "dress" up any nicks I put in the yokes hammering the cups out. I was glad I did that because I had a number of nicks on the yokes that would have hindered the C clamp from pressing the new cups into place. I was really glad to have an air hammer as it is easier to work with than a hammer in tight confines. I didn't use it much for reassembly, but it was very useful for dismantling. It was also nice for popping the ball joints and bearings. I purchased it just for this U-joint job and I'm glad I did.

The Arctic Cat dealer sold me the cross for $21.95 CND. That is part # 1402-164. Most folks on here quote a much higher price and most of you are talking $US. Perhaps those are old posts as us Canadians are used to paying more for everything. I had read about a non-OEM solution (Precision U-Joint), but it sounds like a few people say it fits lose. I thought I would get the arctic cat one and drill and tap it to add a zerk instead because it was relatively cheap and someone on here mentioned that. I tried to make a 1/8" pilot hole with a new bit in the center of the cross using a drill press. I could hardly make a dent in the steel. It's got to be very hard. My center punch also would hardly scratch the cross. I gave up.

I'm really hopeful I don't have to do this repair again any time soon as it was really painful. The first U-Joint lasted only 1600 miles.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-14-2019, 10:57 AM
Team ArcticChat
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat
Garage
Can't remember the name of the u joint i used its in one of my posts someware but it was a exact fit including the clips..

Nothing better than riding with friends and family

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > ATV's > Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode