650 H1 2008 New Frame Blowing Fuses to ignition - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting Place your Utility ATV Repair and Maintenance questions/thoughts here... *not performance*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-02-2019, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
650 H1 2008 New Frame Blowing Fuses to ignition

I bought a 2008 650 H1 that had rolled down a mountain. The front wheels were 2 inches to the left of the back wheel and it pulled hard to the right. I got sick of driving it that way and bought a used frame off of ebay. I changed EVERY thing over to the new frame. Ever since then I am blowing fuses. I can't repeat the issue ie I can't follow a pattern and reproduce the problem consistently.

The first time I blew fuses was when I was pushing snow this winter. Sometimes it would blow after the machine got warmed up and then sometime it would blow as soon as I turned the machine on. After a while it would blow within the first 2 minutes of pushing snow.

This winter I took all the front plastics off and went through the steering column looking for a wire that might be cut and causing a short. I could not find any that looked really suspect. but I rewrapped them and tucked the up nicer in the steering column. Things seemed to be good this spring and no issues.

Fast forward to today. I was pulling my Jetski out of the lake and pop the fuse went again. I pull off the seat and change the fuses and turned the key and pop it went again. I got another atv and pulled it out of the lake and waited for about 5 minutes. I changed fuses and turned it on and everything was fine for 5 minutes then pop it went again. I have had the atv in the water at least 5 times this year and this is the first time it is popping.

How can I find the short? What should I be looking for? I imagine that I hooked something up wrong. what accessories run off of the ignition fuse? How can I find a short? are there tools and stuff I can use to solve this problem?

Also The light cluster dies as well. I still have headlights but everything else is dead.

Last edited by ccommcomm; 07-02-2019 at 11:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-02-2019, 11:49 PM
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Thanked 3,020 Times in 2,791 Posts
Garage
ATV: 13 700 XT trv
2010 Mileage: 800
2007 Mileage: 800
2006 Mileage: 800
Check the connection to the 4x4 actuator.

2013 700 XT TRV EPS :
28" Bighorns on bed linered 08 Prowler rims , Wireless winch remote, 3000LB. Warn winch, Heated front and rear grips, Cat relay wiring harness for accessories, LED light bar, 08 650 trv LTD rear box, Heated rear seat, Elka stage 3 shocks all 4 corners, Aftermarket A-arm bushings, aftermarket sway bar bushings(prototype), Deluxe brush guard bumpers front and rear, Red anodized Hause fairlead, beverage opener winch hook, Synthetic winch rope, RTR motor mount bushings, Dynojet PC5 programmer, Dynojet Autotune, [/B]

07 500 Gone but not forgotten;
Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--

It's mind over matter,If you don't mind,
It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
post #3 of 10 Old 07-03-2019, 04:49 PM

ATV: 2013 Arctic Cat 500 EFI
Sounds like you need a schematic and a multimeter.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-03-2019, 08:11 PM

What specific fuse (or fuses) keep blowing? Just wondering....

Also check frame ground and Engine ground wires. Add dielectric grease to their contract points before torquing down their nut/bolts.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-11-2019, 06:42 PM

Thank you all for your support. Sorry i did not respond sooner. The machine is at the cabin and I was not able to get back up here until now.

I believe it is the front differential actuator. I disconnected the 4 prong connector and turned on the machine and dash lights came on and everything was great. While it was running I reconnected the actuator and poof the engine died and the dash lights went out. I left the ignition in the on position and replaced 2 or 3 fuses and poof. The fuse popped every time i put a new one in. I turned off the key and put a new one in and poof it did it again 2 or 3 more times. (I have a bag of 60 fuses I bought off of eBay so I was having fun. I am sure it is not good on the machine but it is all good. )

I disconnected the actuator with the key in the on position and the dash lights came on and everything worked. I started it and it ran great.

Now how do I fix the actuator? Can I fix the short? I will take it apart in the next few days.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-11-2019, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

ArcticChat.com Moderator

Super Moderator
Sled: Radio Flyer vintage late seventy's
ATV: XTZ V2 550H1 50
You might be able to fix it. You never know until you pull it apart.

The don't always seal and get full of water. Replacements are not cheap so it worth a look.

xtz,v2,550h1,50
post #7 of 10 Old 07-11-2019, 08:13 PM
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Garage
Yes that is why I said to check the actuator as the same thing happened to mine.
Read this thread.
4WD Actuator 0502-296 (3-wire) removal, disassembly, and waterproofing guide https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=302537

2013 700 XT TRV EPS :
28" Bighorns on bed linered 08 Prowler rims , Wireless winch remote, 3000LB. Warn winch, Heated front and rear grips, Cat relay wiring harness for accessories, LED light bar, 08 650 trv LTD rear box, Heated rear seat, Elka stage 3 shocks all 4 corners, Aftermarket A-arm bushings, aftermarket sway bar bushings(prototype), Deluxe brush guard bumpers front and rear, Red anodized Hause fairlead, beverage opener winch hook, Synthetic winch rope, RTR motor mount bushings, Dynojet PC5 programmer, Dynojet Autotune, [/B]

Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--

It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
post #8 of 10 Old 07-11-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorfx View Post
Yes that is why I said to check the actuator as the same thing happened to mine.
Read this thread.
4WD Actuator 0502-296 (3-wire) removal, disassembly, and waterproofing guide https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=302537
HOLY CRAP! Freaking Awesome Post.... Congrats on your electrical smarts you are amazing.

How Do I diagnose the bad transistors (Q1, Q2, and Q3), two limit switches (SW1 and SW2), a relay (K1), three resistors (R1, R2, and R3), a larger diode (D1), two smaller diodes (D4 and D5), and finally the servo motor. I have a multimeter but don't know how to use it.

My oring that goes into the differential was toast maybe water was getting in there and it is soaked inside.

I am going to break it open after I get 4 can lights installed for my wife.
post #9 of 10 Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorfx View Post
Read this thread.
I think I found the problem. I have a question about the circuit board. It looks pretty hammered. It looks like some of the copper has cooked off. Do you think it is worth the time to change all the components? The D5 and Q2 are not even attached. It looks like Q2 melted the solder and reattached itself closer to the diode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190712_091533.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	471.3 KB
ID:	348243   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190712_091414.jpg
Size:	661.0 KB
ID:	348245   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190712_084419.jpg
Size:	597.9 KB
ID:	348247   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190712_092747.jpg
Size:	840.9 KB
ID:	348249  
post #10 of 10 Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Garage
I doubt you can even find the parts. Especially if the board is damaged

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

2013 700 XT TRV EPS :

It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > ATV's > Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode